Chapter 17

Calum was really dreading the end of the trip. There were now only three real days left on the island, with a planned excursion today. Of course Calum was looking forward to spending those three days here and having fun, but the whole 'going home' idea bothered him, if he was honest. He managed to push most of it away though, focusing on his son and his happiness. After all, the boy was more than happy here and enjoying every moment of it all. Which was basically an example for Calum himself.

The morning was a nice start, Aiden having remembered to take the bear to give to the travel guide and Calum remembering to take all their stuff for the day. They were going to the zoo right after breakfast, to make the most out of their day there. Which would prove to be difficult for some parents, because it always happens that some forget or something like that.

The two Hoods were a little earlier at breakfast that morning, but still arrived when Ashton was leaving. As predicted, by the travel guide himself. Which was only a good thing, obviously, considering they took the bear down to give to him.

Ashton smiled when he spotted the two, waving at Aiden as the boy waved at him excitedly. Calum on the other hand, could feel himself grow nervous. After all, he was planning to -in Michael's words- 'woo him' that day and the idea that it could have a positive outcome made his hands want to shake. He knew to keep himself in check though, facing the travel guide with a smile. "Good morning."

"Good morning, Calum. And good morning, Aiden." Ashton greeted in return, still smiling and even blushing lightly when meeting Calum's eyes. It was one of the things Calum noticed and what he had told Michael about , which had only made the bleached blond more confident with his words in turn. Michael had been convinced Ashton had at least a small crush on Calum as well and that it shouldn't be hard to woo him.

"Brought present!" Aiden announced happily, after having greeted the travel guide as well. The man smiled, still having the light blush on his cheeks. "That's very sweet of you."

Aiden hummed and held up the box that contained the bear. It was a different box from usual, completely white with only the Build-a-Bear logo on the bottom. Especially made for gifting. Which had made Calum chose it, mostly to keep up the suspense up of what their present was exactly.

Ashton took it, his face showing curiosity as he carefully opened it. Aiden was bouncing in excitement, obviously wanting to know what the man thought of it. He was really hoping the man would like it, as he had chosen it after all. And as soon as Ashton pulled the white, fuzzy stuffed animal out of the box, Calum knew Aiden chose well.

A big smile overtook the travel guide's face and Calum would almost say the man was tearing up, but he figured he imagined that. The smile on the man's face couldn't possibly go in combination with tears. After all, the gift couldn't be that touching, could it be?

"Like?" Aiden asked quietly, looking up at the travel guide with big eyes, his small hands locked behind his back as he waited for Ashton's answer. Of course, he figured the smile of the man was a 'yes', but he always wanted confirmation, word-wise. Something Calum knew he inherited from his mum.

Ashton seemed at a loss for words in that moment, before slowly nodding, letting out a soft and short laugh. "Yeah. I love it, Aiden. Thank you so much."

Aiden smiled widely at those words, even squealing softly from happiness. Ashton kept smiling, kneeling down and hugging Aiden the second the boy had launched himself at him. It was a tight, but mostly sweet hug, which made Calum wonder if the bear had more of an effect on Ashton than he had decided on at first. He didn't dare question it though.

"Thank for all, mister Ashton. Happy like present." Aiden mumbled, smiling wide when the two let go again and Ashton got back up. He nodded lightly, patting the boy's head as he was still smiling. "Thank you, for being so amazing. Both of you."