Chapter 11

PEETA POV

"Katniss, we need to take you to the school and test you again. Something went wrong with the Truth Serum, or at least that's what we hope it is." Four and Zeke lifted up Katniss and helped her to her feet. I ran over to her and held her to stop her from falling.

"What went wrong? Why does she need another test?" Gale stepped up and asked.

"Gale, it's best we don't tell you now. If she is what we think she is, she is in great danger."

"What did I do wrong?" Katniss tries to walk up but stumbles back onto the ground.

"Katniss," I say calmly, "Don't try walking yet. You haven't fully recovered."

"Uriah, go get a wheelchair. We need to test her now." Uriah ran off as Four came up to Katniss with another vile filled with a blue liquid. "Here, take this. It helps with the dizziness." She drank the liquid then hopped up onto the wheelchair Uriah retrieved. Four started leading her towards the door, but I grabbed his arm forcefully.

"We need to talk." My voice was stern telling him it was important.

"Go on ahead. Zeke, get her set up but do not test her until I get there." The others left out of the room and he turned to me. "What do you need?"

"You can't test her now. She is weak and we know nothing about this test. What does it even do? And why is it so important that her LIFE depends on it?!" I felt the anger in my body boil through my veins.

"I can't explain now, but I promise that it is safe." He says as he heads towards the door. I ran to him and pinned him to the ground looking at him with a death glare.

"You are not going anywhere until I know EXACTLY what is happening to Katniss." He sighed and easily peeled me off of him. I prepared to tackle once again to make him tell me, but he began to talk.

"Do you remember how we told you about the different factions? To determine which faction you are in, you take a test. This test puts your mind into different scenarios to see what you type of person you truly are. For most people, the aptitude test gives you one faction that you should belong to and you then have a choice of choosing your desired faction. Most people ponder over their home faction and the aptitude result, but in very rare cases, the test doesn't give you just one faction. Sometimes, a person is liable for more. They call these people Divergent. Divergents are despised and corrupt the system, as some people say. They can control their thoughts and actions in simulations and tests therefore, they can bypass the simulations control. Leaders don't wanted the system failing, so they set out to destroy all Divergents, for good."

"You don't mean they-"

"Yes. They kill them."

"What does this have to do with Katniss?"

"Katniss was able to control her statement of truth and lies. She was able to bypass the system. If I am correct Peeta, she is Divergent." He headed out the door and took the path towards the school.

"How do you know all of this?" I say as I catch up to him and trail the same path he is walking on.

"I know," his voice turns into a low whisper, "Because I am Divergent."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GALE POV

I watched as Uriah and Zeke placed a drowsy Katniss onto the armchair and strapped her hands in. They took a strange looking helmet and placed it on her, attaching the loose wires to her forehead and temples. She cringed in discomfort as they started a strange looking machine with a small screen. My body cringed but I felt a small hand placed o my shoulder.

"It's alright. This is just protocol for the aptitude test." I turned and saw Christina with a gentle and comforting look on her face.

I liked her when I first got a real look at her face in the Dauntless head quarters, but just when I worked up the nerve to start to get to know her better, she told Katniss about her old love Will and I knew I could not compete with him, dead or alive. When she spoke of him, she seemed to recall comforting memories that helped her with her mourning over his death. When she told of his death, her face looked as if she had died with him and needed him to live fully once again. I always had to remind myself of this because the more I look and think about her, the more I like her, but I can't hurt her. I will never hurt her.

"Zeke, so you have to needle?" Four says as he enters the room with Peeta shadowing him close behind.

Four takes the needle from him and walks up to Katniss cleaning the spot on her neck where it is supposed to be injected. He steadily slides the needle into her skin and I flinch at the sight of a large bubble of liquid stream into her veins. Her body jolts rapidly in the chair and then stops abruptly.

"She's in."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kicking off my Spring Break with another chapter! Expect more chapters for this story and my other one, Laws Don't Bind Us, often. Going to try to write 1-2 chapters a day for each of them! Keep reading cause it's about to get good. :)