Chapter 1

GALE POV

I woke to the sound of my alarm going off frantically. On any normal day, I probably would have thrown it against the wall already, but this was not a normal day. District 2 is great and all, but I miss my family and have gotten a little homesick lately- even if I've only been here for a little less than a year- , so I'm glad they've allowed me to take a flight back to District 13.

"Rise and shine!" My friend Patrick walks through the front door and jumps on the bed. I'm startled out of my doze and thrown off the bed.

"Get up! You are going to 13 and you need to be awake to do that!"

"I'm up!" I shout. "Besides, the plane doesn't leave until 7 and it's..." I check the time. 6:48. "Crap!" I can hear Patrick laughing as I hurriedly grab my bag and toss on a new shirt. I'm about to leave when he laughs even harder.

"What?"

"Dude!" He says in between chokes of laughter, "your- your- your pants!"

I look down and he's right. I forgot my pants.

"I don't have time for that right now!" I say. "It's already 6:57, I've gotta go!"

I leave my room and head toward the flight room. Once I enter, the room starts cracking up. I ignore them and head straight to Einstein. His real name isn't Einstein, but he sure is just as smart as the real deal. Maybe even a little smarter. Einstein is working on some little model airplane-probably adjusting it's features to make helpful to the District's people and their constructing.

"Hey Einstein. When's the flight leaving?" I question.

Einstein takes a quick look at me and remarks "Slept in, huh? I knew that would happen."

"Ya." I sigh with embarrassment.

"Here, take this."

"Thanks!"

I quickly put on the pants he handed to me and thank him once more before a loud roar of engines silence every sound.

"Looks like I've got to go!" I shout as loudly as I could so he could hear me over the planes. "Thanks for the pants!" I say as I go and wait for my ride to 13.