Chapter 2

KATNISS POV

I felt weird when I first heard the news that Gale was coming to 13. It's not like I'll be able to see him anyway, but it still felt strange knowing that tomorrow Gale would be only a district away. I'm planning on visiting him of course. Ever since he left, I've started to forgive him for what he did. It may not have even been his fault, but I felt like it was. It was his weapon design that killed Prim. Oh god, now I'm crying. I know Gale doesn't feel the same way as he did before, and he shouldn't. Not after the way I shut him out, I just hope that when he comes, I'll be able to see him and start a new friendship, just a friendship.

"Katniss, are you okay?"

I'm startled by Peeta's presence. "I'm fine. I'm fine." I don't know why I said that twice, maybe to reassure myself. "I was just thinking about Prim."

He comes and places his arm around me pulling me in for comfort. I love when he does this, it makes me feel safe, as if nothing has ever happened to me. I tuck my head into his shoulder and hug him back.

"I love you Katniss. You know that don't you?"

"How could I not? It's how you start every conversation between the two of us." He chuckles and kisses the top of my head gently.

"I love you too." I say. We sit like this for what seems like hours before I hear a knock on my door. I don't dare move, I don't ever want to move.

"Katniss. Come on." Peeta lifts my hand and pulls me up leading me to the front door.

I turn the knob on the door and swing it open gently.

"Haymitch, come in," Peeta says from behind, still holding my hand.

"Look, sorry to interrupt you love birds, but I've received word from 13 that the Mockingjay is needed. Now." Haymitch gives me a stern look and continues, "I don't know what for, but the call seemed urgent. I know you wanted to put this "Mockingjay" business behind, but they need you right now. It's your decision."

I turned and faced Peeta who had his hands on my shoulders looking me in the eye, "Katniss, we can go or we can stay. I'm going to support you fully on this."

"We're going." I say to Haymitch, "but Peeta's coming with me."

"Why of course, who would dare separate the star-crossed lovers of 12?"

I don't know why he still calls us that, but I don't really care anymore. Haymitch starts talking again.

"Now, for the real reason I came here, where's your beer?"

"Your breath already reeks of liquor, and what happened to all of yours?"

"Drank it of course." He pushes past me and Peeta heading for our wine cabinet, "Now, if you'll excuse me..." I hear a small chuckle come from Peeta's mouth.

"What? It's not funny he's still drinking!" I scold him.

"Just wait for it."

"DAMN IT PEETA!" Heavy footsteps come out of the kitchen back to the living room, "What the hell did you do to all of your alcohol!"

"Drank it of course." It's my turn to laugh.

"You find this funny?" He turns to me.

"Very." I say. All of us stare at each other for a moment then burst out in laughter. I don't know what Haymitch is laughing at, but for a moment, it feels as if the Hunger Games never happened. I wish this moment would last forever, but Haymitch had to pull me back into reality.

"You leave tomorrow, so I suggest you get packed." He says to both of us. "And Peeta, next time you might want to hide your wine a little better. He reaches under the sofa and pulled out a bottle. "See you at 1 tomorrow." The door slams shut.

"Damn." Peeta says breaking the silence, "He's good. Come on, let's pack."