Chapter nine

I wake up in Silverstar's den, he is curled up next to me. He is just starting to wake.
   "Get me some prey," he meows groggily. I stifle a groan, and go get his food. He gobbles the sparrow up. He signals for me to go. At last! I pad. Out into the cool fresh air. Birds are singing, and life is good, for the most part. I scan the camp, seeing Flametail cuff Mintflower over the ears with claws out.
"You filthy rodent! You were supposed to bare my kits! Why aren't you expecting?" He growls fiercely. He flips her over and starts to pummel her soft stomach. She wails in agony. He leaves her in the clearing, blood staining her fur crimson.
That was when us she-cats started to be abused. We were swatted around, scratched and bit. It was miserable. My kits started to move around more, my belly swelled. Silverstar's thought they were his, but only Mudbelly and I knew otherwise. Ivyleaf was expecting as well. She was getting bruised by Waspwhisker. He slashed her swollen belly, blood spilling out. She wailed, a small lump floated in the blood, her kit. The violence from the toms caused a innocent life to be losted. Ivyleaf didn't make it. Her stomach wound killed her. The queens mourned her loss, some of the kinder toms did too. Bubblewish gave birth to Cloudkit and Starkit, and Ebonyclaw to Nightkit, Shadekit, and Mistkit. Mine were due any day.
I lay down in my nest, raspberry leaves and a stick by me side. Goldenpaw rested in the nest next to me. I felt a ripple pass through me. I nudged Goldenpaw awake.
"They're coming," I meow. Her eyes widen. I eat the raspberry leaves. Ripples pass through me, but I hardly feel any pain. Soon five she-kits are born, a silver kit, a brown and white kit, a white and silver kit, a brown and silver kit, and a white kit. I nip the sacks of skin surrounding them, and start to lick them clean.
"Would you tell Silverstar?" I ask. She nods and rushes out of the den. I toss the stick to the edge of the den. I look down at my kits. What to name you? I think Lacekit for the brown she-kit with brown laced markings, and Silverkit for the white with silver laced markings. How about Frostedkit for the white one with frosty paws and muzzle. I don't know for the other two. I'll decide tomorrow. I curl up around my precious bundles, purring to lull them to sleep.