27. punching walls

27. punching walls

The sun was shining, a nice contrast to the cloudy days before, Ree sat in a lawn chair as Sky played with the small puppy in front of her. Amanda thought it would be nice to get her a friend since the five year old seemed to spend a lot of time alone when she wasn't at daycare. Soft music played from her phone and she snapped a couple pictures that she would probably end up sending Calum for him to show to Luke. 

The small mutt dog they had adopted from the shelter was rolling around and Sky was giggling loudly before throwing a small ball and watched him run to catch it. "Good boy, Rocky!" She praised, her words tumbling due to her lisp (her two front teeth were missing). 

"Miss," One of the maids Amanda had hired to take care of the house while she went on another vacation with her husband and left her daughter behind called Ree and the young woman turned around. "Someone is at the door, says he wants to see Skylar." 

Ree was confused until she remembered, today was the day the boys came home from tour. Luke hadn't seen Skylar in a while, a month or so, ever since his last two week long break. "Sky, c'mon, bring Rocky. There's someone for you at the door." 

The small girl struggled to get a hold of the ecstatic puppy and then held him like a small baby as she pet his stomach. "Who is it?"

"Go see." 

Her little naked feet hit against the hardwood floors as she ran to the door after handing Rocky over to Ree who kept a distance as the girl ran to door. Amy, the maid, opened the door when the little girl stood close to it and Ree heard her cute gasp and her little feet running to most likely hug her father who took her into his arms. 

"Hi, Sky." That voice, the voice Ree had been listening nearly every night in songs, videos, etc. The voice that once whispered beautiful things in her ear, the voice that had left a long lasting scar on her heart. 

"Daddy! I miss you, you have a beard? It tickles!" Sky's laugh was probably heard all throughout the mansion.

"Where's your mom?" Luke asked after rubbing his beard against her cheek making her laugh and shriek.

Sky shrugged her shoulders, she felt sad because her mom left her way too often. This time the excuse for the vacation was Honey, we're celebrating the new baby in momma's belly.  Poor Sky was always left behind with babysitters like Ree and maids. "Ree is babysitting today, she's outside with Rocky." 

"Yes, Rocky. I've heard so much about him and seen so many pictures." Luke nodded and kissed his daughter's cheek before letting her lead to the backyard as his heart slammed against his ribcage.

"I saw pictures of you too, but your beard didn't seem so..." The girl tried her best to find the right word, her expression made Luke laugh. 

"Ticklish?"

"Yes, ticklish." Sky giggled and she tried her best to walk fast, she wanted her father to see Rocky and Ree. "Ree! Dad's here!" 

"I see that." She mumbled and kept her eyes on Luke's. He looked different, she had seen pictures of course but it felt real now. Luke seemed more muscly, like he actually worked out, his beard made him seem much more mature and his lip piercing was gone. His eyes were also different, less tired, more glow-y but with a hint of sadness as he continued to look at Ree.

Meanwhile, Ree was the exact same, nothing had changed about her, at least not physically her mind-set sure had changed through the course of those hellish three months. Her hair was still long and wavy, her eyes still looked kind and inviting. 

"Hello, Ree." Luke said and smiled trying not to get overwhelmed with all the emotions, months of unanswered texts, bottled up feelings but most of all guilt and regret. Luke felt a little better when the girl returned his smile with a small shy one. He wasn't sure if it was genuine or only because Skylar was there and it didn't seem appropriate to cause a scene even though Luke thought she had all the right to do such thing. "This most be Rocky."