Law 15 : Doubt

“Those feelings you hold for Kami-sama – Kill it before anyone else finds out.”

Vierne stopped for a moment. He felt unbearable pain inside his chest.

“It’s not like…I’m planning to pursue these feelings...” Vierne let out a painful smile. “Anyway , stop with the useless worries. I know what’s allowed and what’s not.”

“Good.” Pierrot said , who gave a glance over his shoulders before continuing to walk. “Remember those words.”

“You don’t have to tell me that.” Vierne jokingly said.

“You know , I don’t understand you or Lucifer-sama at all.” Pierrot said out of the blue.

“Huh? What is it that you don’t understand?”

“How can you love that woman?”

“O-Oh…” Vierne awkwardly replied. Pierrot saw his face which looked frustrated , looking for an answer. He sighed.

“You know , I’m not pressuring you for an answer.” Pierrot said , trying to calm Vierne down. “It’s just my own curiosity. I don’t own such emotions , so I don’t know what it feels like to be happy , sad and maybe in love.”

“You have never felt happiness?”

“Never.” Pierrot answered. “You may see me smiling and laughing , but in the end , I’m also a puppet myself. We feel nothing. We’re like empty dolls. That’s why I’m curious. Just what is this happiness?”

Vierne stared at Pierrot. He can’t understand anything he’s saying at all. The Pierrot he knew was a playful and cunning man. Someone who likes to joke together with Kami. He’s a cheerful fellow who always smiles , but his skills and power are as deadly as poison. It made him think. Just what is happiness?

“Happiness…” Vierne muttered. Pierrot looked at Vierne who was staring at the blue sky. “I’m not entirely sure what it is either. But maybe it’s the warm feeling you get inside your chest. You see , I was once told by someone – ‘Happiness is contagious. So if you smile , the one next to you will also smile. It’s an endless cycle of emotions.’”

“And that someone is?” Pierrot asked.

“It’s Kami-sama.” Vierne replied , curving his lips into a smile. “The very start of my memory was that day with Kami-sama. I was a lost child , found in a dark forest by the Gods. I don’t remember anything before my encounter with them. As far as I know , I was taken to the paradise , Asriel Celestia…”

“My lord , who is this child?” A big man who wore dark clothing asked. His voice deep and angry.

“Hush , Dia-chan.” The woman smiled. “He is a lost child abandoned in the forest. We don’t want to frighten such a little being , do we?”

“No…but to bring such a thing to this place…” Diamond tried to humbly reject the child. “Kami-sama , you need to prepare for your ‘sleep’. And I dare say that this being will only hinder your future plans. As your guardian deity , I think the best way is to send him to the Ministry of Souls , so he can sleep there eternally in peace.”

“Then , I’ll make this boy my guardian deity !” Kami whimsically declared. “That way , I can bring him , right?”

“Ka-Kami-sama…” Diamond pleaded. “To make such a young inexperienced boy as your guardian deity…”

“Go train him , Dia-chan.” Kami ordered. “There are still 17 years before I go to sleep. So until then , raise this child as a powerful wizard. I expect a lot from you.”