Letters ✉️

[unedited]

Luke covers his face while his leg taps impatiently on the floor. He wipes his tears away and looks up from his hands, receiving a sad smile from a nurse. He forces a smile back and leans back in his chair. "I hate myself."

Ashton and Michael rush in to the waiting room and sit next to their best mate. They give him a big hug as Luke sniffles loudly. "What did they say?" They move away from him to get an answer.

"That-he almost died...and that if he becomes stable,, they'll let me see him." Luke curses under his breath when he wipes away more tears. "It's all my fault."

"Dude, no it's not!" Michael calls while furrowing his eyebrows. He knows that the blonde thinks he needs to protect Cal every step of the way, but that's not the case. "It's not your fault."

"I should've been with him. When he called me at three in the morning." He stops talking and looks at the ground while fiddling with his fingers. "I-I knew something wasn't right. Every part of my body was shaking. I couldn't breathe, I'm pretty sure my heart stopped."

Ashton sighs and rubs his back, "He'll be okay."

Luke nods and huffs, "I'm just so worried about h-"

"Luke Hemmings?" A nurse calls out into the waiting room. She sees a young man immediately get up. She frowns and reads off her clipboard. "Calum still is unconscious, but he is recovering fast from surgery. The wound was really deep, Luke."

He stuffs his hands in his pockets, "Can I see him?"

"When he wakes up you may. You can go take a shower and grab something to eat, he will be conscious by then." She looks at him.

Luke picks at his food as his wet hair drips excess water onto his blue jeans. "I can't even fucking eat."

Ashton shrugs, "I'm happy you took care of your personal hygiene though." He coughs while eating his chicken salad.

The blonde nods off and sits back while scratching his golden wet locks. He sighs and watches Ashton finish his good. When his best friend finishes, they head back to the hospital.

Once they enter the waiting room again after checking in, a nurse walks to them smiling. "I'll take one person to see him now."

Luke stands up instantly and follows the petite woman. They walk to the elevators and he lets her in first. She smiles at him, "Are you worried for your friend?"

"Boy...friend."

She tilts her head in confusion, "What?"

"Calum Hood is my boyfriend not just my friend." He huffs tapping his feet against the floor.

She gulps while nodding slowly. They exit out the elevator and she shows him a shared hospital room. Luke enters and sees a hopeful old woman.

The old woman rises from her creaky bed and smiles, "Jackson, come give your granny a hug, I thought no one would visit me."

He hears a quiet pained moan that is followed by 'oww'. He looks at the old lady and shakes his head, "I'm here to see my boyfriend."

Luke goes into the second room and sees Calum on the bed wining at pain. He sniffles and looks up to see his boyfriend. "Lukey..."

"Baby...who did this to you?" Luke's voice cracks as tear flood his eyes. His hands clench, "I swear I'm going to kill the person who did it."

Calum scoots over to let Luke sit by him. "I remember the person had blonde hair and evil hazel eyes. That's all I remember."