Seventeen

"You might just want to wait outside for a few minutes."

Calum had said this in all seriousness before he walked through the door to see Luke.

But that was well over half an hour ago and that, by my watch, was more a than the few minutes I was promised.

Though now was not the time to be a pathetic self centered bitch, I was here because my friend... well uhh Luke, had hurt himself and I was genuinely worried.

Since that night, I have thought of Luke as a much more vulnerable person than what I would have ever thought. That ignorant and asshole act he put on was unintentional. He was just scared. But why would he be scared of me?

I was snapped out of my train of thought as the hushed mumbling that had been drifting out from underneath the door was ubrubtly interrupted.

"Jesus Luke, get over it she's not going to hurt you! She's here because she cares! When will you see that? not everybody is out to get you." Calums voice echoed through the hospital's corridors.

"I'm sorry Cal, I really am, I'm just scared and after what has happened these last few years it seems like anyone could be out to get me. They hurt me Cal. There was nothing I could do about it, nothing you could do about it. And it has taken its toll." Luke replied quietly, weakly. I could hardly even recognize the voice it was so alien to me.

"But we are here to help, an I sure bet Lacey is too if you just give her a chance. Don't give up on us just because you give up on everybody else." Calum was much calmer than before, though neither of them were making any effort to remain unheard which they were obviously trying to do earlier.

"That's easier said than done Cal. There is a hell of a lot more people out there that hate me compared to the few that may care about me."

"So what if there is only a few people that care about you? At least they care!" He voice started to raise once again.

"But why would they care about me, I'm me, nobody cares about me. I can barely trust anyone, why would they care for me?"

"Luke, think about it. All the people that have come to see you while you are in this place care about you! Your parents, me, the boys, Lacey for christ's sake!"

"But there is so many people who want me dead."

"But those people don't matter Luke, the people that care matter, no matter how many people that is."

This conversation had a taken a turn, I felt guilty consciously sitting here and listening. But I just couldn't help myself.

"I try to think like that Calum, I really try, you know that right? But sometimes it gets hard because I get worked up, you know how hard it is for me when I get worked up about things like that, since well, since yeah." his voice trailed off at the end as if he was scared to say it out loud. But I knew he was talking about the 'incident'.

"I know it's hard but I'm going to help and you can't do anything rash like this again because it really frightens me that one day you just might not wake up and I will lose my best mate."

"I can't promise anything but I will try Cal."

There was a long silence. I'd like to think that they were hugging in there, but I think it was more of a smile and nod agreement. I don't really know why I think it matters which it was, but it does.

"Luke?" Cal broke the silence, but only barely. I could only just make out what he had said.

"Cal?"

"What were you so worked up about? What did you do wrong?"

"I told her, I told Lacey what happened."