Nineteen

I woke up to the loud ringing of my phone. My hand searched for it over the beside table, knocking a few things off. Finally finding it, I propped myself up on my elbow and answered it.

"Hello?" my voice was groggy and faint, I rubbed my eyes as a feeble attempt to wake myself up a bit.

"Hey, did I wake you? I'm so sorry." I instantly knew who it was from his voice. I didn't even think to check the caller ID upon answering the call.

"Yea you did Cal, but continue, I'm awake now." I let out a sleepy giggle.

"Ok well um, Ashton and Maddie had this awesome idea, and after you left band practice yesterday he told us about it and said we should give it a go. And anyway we planned it for today but I forgot to call you last night, hence why I'm calling so early."

"Yea it's early it's like 7am Calum!"

"Anyway the idea is a scavenger hunt!"

"What?" I mumbled as I tried to register what he just said, what can I say my brain just doesn't function in the morning.

"A scavenger hunt. We split into pairs and set out for the day to find the listed items and first team back with the list completed wins! sound awesome or what?"

"It sounds great!"

"So you in?"

"Depends"

"On what?"

"A lot of things really."

"Well you don't have to be here until 9am, that gives you two hours and partners are getting drawn out of a hat."

"You know my curiosity well Calum Hood, but there is one more thing-"

"Yes fun is guaranteed." He laughs, god he sounds like my dad. He used to say stuff like that all the time or 'there's only one rule, and that is to have fun!'

"Whatever, count me in see you in a few hours."

"Great see you then, my place ok?"

"Cool see ya Cal."

I hung up the phone and rolled over on to my back, arms and legs spread out across the bed, letting out a loud sigh.

I layed there for a few moments, trying to find the motivation to actually get out of bed.

I was actually rather excited about today. I knew it was going to be fun. Especially after yesterday went smoothly. I guess Luke really meant what he had said at the hospital. Yesterday he actually joined in conversation with me and the boys, smiling, laughing it was like he was a whole different person. Never once did he become angry or upset and never once did he show any signs of disapproval toward me. It made me so much more confident that we could actually build a friendship and everything would work out.

Speaking of yesterday afternoon, I never got to hear the boys play, which I am highly disappointed about. I was actually really excited to hear them. But instead we just hung out, eating pizza and played a bit of Fifa. Which I totally smashed Michael in! I still think I should get bragging rights for like a year, but Michael just says he was taking it easy on me. But I totally, fair and square, smashed him.

Eventually I rolled out of the bed. It involved a lot of grumbling, groaning and yawning. This was the earliest I had been up on a weekend in ages.

I stepped out of the shower, dressing myself in a pair of denim shorts, my black tshirt with a moon print on it, paired with my khaki button up that I had rolled the sleeves up and left unbuttoned. I slipped on my socks and red vans and left my hair out. To be honest I didn't even care what it wanted to do today.