Sixteen

My search for Lillian Harvey is progressing rapidly.

I have examined countless phone books and local directories for all different areas around Sydney.

I have compiled a list of 3 phone numbers that corresponded to three different people with the name Lillian Harvey. Each of these people lived in Sydney and one of them was possibly the person my dad wanted me to find.

It had taken me one and a half days to compose the list, to be exact.

After the boys dropped me at home, I almost instantly began scanning the pages scattered around my room once more. And the search continued throughout the night. I had faked sick, thankgod for the effects of sleep deprivation or else mum never would have believed me, and skipped school. Taking a trip to the public library, searching through the phone directories of the surrounding suburbs and spent countless hours searching the Internet's vast supply of online phone books.

Holding the list in my hand I dialled the first number. I consciously held my breath and crossed my fingers, hoping and praying that somebody picked up.

But nobody did.

The unavailability message played and the beep sounded. I let out the breath I had been holding and spoke shakily.

"Hi my name is Lacey Brooks, I'm ringing for Lillian Harvey. My dad was Dan Brooks and he sadly passed away and he left me your name. If you know who he is please call me back at this number, if not, I'm sorry for wasting your time. Thankyou."

I hung up the phone with a shaky hand and a small sigh. I stared at the list for a brief moment before trying Lillian Harvey number two.

The phone rang seven times before it went to message bank. I let out a helpless sigh and left a message that consisted of the same details.

The last number on the list. The last chance. I slowly dialled the number and it felt like forever before the dial tone started. I waited and waited, until I heard the dreaded reciever. Sorry the person you are trying to call in unavailable at the moment.

I kicked the pile of ripped phone book pages at my feet in frustration as I waited for the beep to signal I could leave a message.

The message again contained the same information, but this time I spoke as if I was completely defeated and hopeless.

Hanging up the phone, I threw it on my bed with loud yell.

"Why can't everything be simple?" I cried out to nothing in particular. I just wanted simple answers is that ever to much to ask for?

I slumped down on the ground, resting my head against the side of my bed. A few stray tears fell, accompanied by a small mumble.

Standing up I gave my outfit a once over, black skinny jeans and a white tshirt with small black stars spread randomly over the fabric.

My minimal eye make up had luckily not run, not needing to fix it up I grabbed my bag and walked down the stairs.

"Mum I'm going to school see you this arvo!"

"Ok honey, I love you!"

"love you too, bye!"

I pulled open the door and stepped out of the house beginning my usual trek to school.

I kicked a rock as I walked, arms folded across my chest and my hair blowing in the wind.

Maybe Luke will be at school today? But I highly doubt it. Ever since that night in the bathroom I have felt almost sorry for Luke.