Twenty

"So where are we off to next?" I stumbled out as we pulled our seatbelts on. I was so caught up on Luke calling me Lace that I lost focus on what my actual task right now was.

I'm not even kidding. I feel over my own feet about 10 times on the simple walk from the tree to the car.

"I don't know, you are the one with the list Lace." Again.

I just looked at him.

"You ok there?"

I continued staring at him. Completeling and utterly dumbfounded at why he was calling me that.

It probably sounds stupid, so shocked at someone calling me a shortened version of my name. But, for some strange reason, never has anyone, outside of my family, ever called me Lace. It holds an special significance in my childhood and I guess that it's so weird hearing it come from another person. Another person that has no relation to that part of my childhood.

"Seriously, you ok or not?" Luke said waving his hand in front of my eyes, trying to snap me out of my little thought bubble.

"U-um how come you keep calling me Lace?" I stammered it out, nervous of the outcome.

"I think it's nice and it suits you," he gave me a small smile.

"Suits me?" I questioned back, refraining from smiling.

"Well it's simple, like you. But then when you look hard enough the details are small and intricate, sometimes slightly flawed, all pieced together forming one beautiful thing, that without every little tiny piece, wouldn't be nearly as amazing." He said in almost a whisper, looking down at his hands.

"Luke?"

"Yea," he looked back up at me. The car still running, but stationary.

"Did you just compare me to a piece of lace?" I giggled to myself.

"Well, um no, kinda ok I did. Let's not talk about it." He said clearing his throat.

"Don't worry about it, it was cute." I smiled, remembering when I was just six years old, standing in front of my dad in my pajamas as he did almost the same thing.

He returned my smile before changing the subject.

"So where next?"

"Well we have to get someone to give us a cupcake for free. If you know where to go for that, than let's go. Otherwise-"

"I've got it, it's ok, just enjoy the drive." He laughed, pulling out onto the road.

"Okay?" I sat back in my chair, once again listening to Luke's music that filled the car.

"This is my jam!" I yelled turning up the volume.

"Holy crap Lace, you scared the shit out of me!"

"Shh shh shh, my song is on!"

I danced around in my seat, Luke laughing at me. Until he decided to join in at the chorus.

"It was like a time bomb set into motion, we knew we were destined to explode!" I sang at the top of my lungs.

"And if I have to pull you out of the wreckage," I looked over to Luke who had decided to join in and gave him a full smile, ear to ear, that he returned.

We continued singing at the top of our lungs for the rest of the song, dancing around awkwardly in the constraints of our seatbelts. Luke was actually quite a good singer, I can't wait to actually hear him properly.

We pulled up into a driveway. How did I not notice we were driving down a residential street?

"You getting out or not?" Luke called as he was about to shut his door.