Chapter 9

Good lord. I don't even know where I'm going anymore. All the houses look the same. I can't tell the difference anymore. I wish I-

***FLASHBACK***

"Oh Mason..." She cooes.

I had set up this nice little picnic thing down in a little cove by her house. We were there all the time. It was ours.

"What?"

"You're so sweet, you know that?"

"I guess..." I really don't think it's that great truthfully. We're here every other day, but let her think what she wants. Am I right?

"Babe" She says as she snuggles up against me. "I really do love it..." She looks up at me.

"I believe you." No I don't.

I scoot away from her and grab my bag. Her eyes plead me to come back but I don't. I find my knife and stand up, wondering over to a tree that we are always in.

The tree branches are like steps. I climb up them to a branch that hangs over the stream.

I start to carve something in the bark when she climbs it. She carefully walks over to me then straddles the branch.

"Whatcha writin'?" She's practically Curious George.

"Don't look yet!" I scold her and shift my body infront of it so she can't see it.

"Hmmph." He crosses her arms and pouts.

"Oh stop." I say as I finish up the last rounded edge.

"Now look." I motion towards the carving.

"Awe! Mason!" She says with a big grin plastered on her face.

Who knew that the key to a girls' heart was to write our initials inside a heart on a tree?

***FLASHFORWARD***

What the hell? Why do these keep coming back?

Whatever. As long as I find her I'll be fine.

The tree... Where the fuck is that tree?