Chapter 24: Reminiscing

Demi's POV

Emily's parents actually agreed that she should live with me temporarily, because they also wanted her to remember everything sooner rather than later. It was really awkward between us at first. Emily didn't really know what to do at my house and I had to carry her a lot, because the wheelchair couldn't go everywhere.

I didn't mind, but I saw how uncomfortable she felt. I'm not sure if it was because I was sort of a stranger to her or because she thought it would be too hard for me.

I tried to clear my schedule as much as possible, but my management wasn't very understanding. They told me that it wasn't my responsibilty for her to get better. Assholes. I might have yelled a few curse words in the phone, but I won't confirm or deny this story.

She has been here for three days now without actually improving. She didn't seem to remember anything about us or what her parents did to her. It really frustrates me, but I don't want her to notice, because it isn't her fault.

We sat on the couch together watching TV. She was watching a movie which I didn't know the name of because I couldn't care less. I wasn't watching it anyway, I was lost in my thoughts. Suddenly Emily let out a squeel. ''What the fuck you scared me! What's wrong?'' I asked her startled. ''I don't know I got this weird déjà vu flashback thing.'' she said. ''What do you mean?'' I asked. ''I felt like I have watched this scene before and then I remembered how it ended and it actually did end that way. How creepy is that?'' she said.

Then it hit me. I actually watched this movie with Emily. She told me back then that she hadn't seen it before and she really wanted to watch it so we did. ''Em we watched this movie like 5 weeks ago or something.'' I said.  She looked at me with wide eyes ''y-you think I'm getting my memory back?'' she asked in disebelief. 

''Yeah baby I think so! ... I mean uhm.. oops I - uhh I didn't mean to say that.. I'm sorry!'' oh god why did I have to call her baby I don't want to freak her out. ''It's okay Demi you don't have to apologize, do you have another movie we watched before?'' 

I put Frozen in and watched her face carefully as she watched the movie. Sometimes she would smile a little or scrunch up her nose, but that's probably what everyone does while watching a movie. Or at least I do. 

After an hour watching in silence she turned to me and said ''I don't know Demi, I don't really remember anything it all seems new to me.'' she looked disappointed. ''It's okay we'll just watch it till the end.'' 

I was thinking about other typical things we did together. I already tried showing her pictures, but then the one where we kissed showed up and everything got awkward. Uhg why can't I think of something. We used to do a lot together so why is this so hard?

What if..? No I don't think that would work.. Or would it? ''Em?'' I asked. She looked up at me and I could see in her eyes that she was tired. ''I might have an idea. It may sound stupid, but I kind of ran out of options.'' I said hestitantly. ''Okay.. What is it?'' she asked.

''What if we go back to where we first met?'' I asked her hopefully. ''Where did we first meet?'' she asked. ''Uhm well I went to get coffee at a cute café and you just started working there and you kind of made a mess when you saw me.'' I giggled. ''Then we had a conversation and I really liked talking to you and that's how we became friends.'' 

''Sounds like me'' she laughed. ''Wait do I still work there? Am I supposed to work right now or something?'' she asked. ''I'm not sure.. I never actually thought about it. But if we go there to reminisce then we might as well talk to Grace.'' I said. ''Grace?'' ''Yeah she's your boss.'' 

Emily's POV

We were at the café and it felt like I was here for the first time. An old lady came up to me with a frown ''honey I haven't seen you in over a month! Where have you been? And why  are you in a wheelchair?''