Chapter 17: The Company of Killers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Richie’s POV~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boom. Boom. Boom. Boom. My heartbeat overpowered everything for a moment. It’s thunderous Boom blocking out all other noise and pounding against the back of my closed eyes. They felt so heavy. I’ll just keep them closed, think with a gentle sigh. Everything seemed peaceful as the world slowly became real through muffled sounds.

“You’re screwed Sam. You, Raenne, that guy Tom…” came a foreign voice.

“Don’t say that,” I heard the familiar voice rumble off my hand. His grip was warm around my fingers and I felt a gentle pair of soft lips kiss the knuckles. “At least say there’s something I can do for Raenne.”

“Well the cult after her and Tom are pretty hard-core. Whoever they sent to their apartment were the babies of the babies. From what I’ve managed to get they track and hunt in order,”

“Meaning,” Sam replied reluctantly.

“The longer Raenne lives, the better chance that the others get to live as well. They’ll take out the band and someone close to them one by one as a publicity stunt then announce something. A hostage they have or some type of issue they want addressed before taking out another lot of influencing people.”

“They’ll never have her. Not while I breathe,” Sam said and I felt my heartbeat skip. I had to force my eyes open now, but I paused when I heard the next line.

“Sam the company is going to want to eliminate you after this stunt.”

“I can deal with them.”

“You might not be able to make it out!”

“I understand that. They’re secondary priority at the moment. After Raenne and Tom are sorted and this cult is cut I’ll talk to the company,”

“They’ll kill you.”

“I understand.”

No, I think feeling teary eyed and tried to open my eyes. I had to open my eyes; this wasn’t going to be some sad show down with my princes going down without me waking! I HAD TO WAKE UP!

“What about the weapon they used on Tom?” I heard Sammy ask and the foreign voice chuckle.

“Some bloody weird arse shit. The weapon is some type of nerve freezing. It applies an immense amount of pain to the person and stuns their nerves, consequently paralysing them momentarily, depending of cause.”

“How long until he’s awake?”

WHAT! I wanted to scream, You LET SOMETHING HAPPEN TO MY TOM! If I could get my hands on Sammy right now there would be nothing bloody well left of him. I would pound the living shit out of that man until my Tom woke up.

“Well Meg said he’d be up any minute now, just as long as we keep downing that freezing cold water on the guy he should remain freezing and nerve system workable.” The foreign voice chuckled and I reminded myself that I’d have to beat the crap out of him as well. What the hell is he? A clown or something.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Tom’s POV~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My head spun as a rush of cold washed across my face and body, sending my stomach searing with pain.

“There, there,” I heard a woman’s voice say. For a moment through the haze and blurry eyes I could have sworn it was Richie. An American accent irreplaceable, but when everything came to focus it was just a woman standing there with Ratty brown hair that was tied around the edge with a cloth of fabric. “You’ll live don’t worry,” she continued with a warm smile. She doesn’t have the hint of Australian accent coming through and if it were Richie she’d probably hit me for taking so long to wake up, I realised.