Chapter 16: Road Trips & The Quit Smoking Pledge

The morning of our departure for NYC was filled with excitement, yet there was a bitter sweetness in the air. The trip was everything that I had ever wanted and it included a record deal with my band. But more importantly, there was a completeness that accompanied the dream; my family was back together and Seth was here.

I guess I didn't exactly realize how much I had missed Seth in the short amount of time I had been away. I had been so consumed with keeping my grades sky high and I'd counterbalanced that with family secrets and two surly boys who tugged at me like a dog would a new chew toy.

Seth wasn't complicated like Damian. He didn't have high school drama or family secrets that he clutched to his chest, hoping people never really saw the real side to him. Underneath the sex-god body and the accumulating tattoos, Seth was a normal guy. He was the oldest of five and his mom worked as a manager of the local Ridgemont's Groceries in town. His dad taught sixth grade and in his spare time, he coached a local basketball group for disabled boys and girls. Seth always went on Saturday mornings to help the kids practice, which is why we never had band stuff till later in the day.

Seth's one sister, Kimmy, who was my age and went to my school before the move, was probably the coolest girl I had ever met. She had long flowing black hair and a wickedly devious smile. She wasn't a follower and I admired her for not getting swept up in the typical high school crap that so many did. She was one of my closest friends and would always come to our shows. In return, I always attended her roller derby matches.

Kimmy, was one of the best jammers around. She could skate fast and dodge blockers. Her team was The Northfield Derby Darlins and I remember the day she tried out and passed. She was so excited that she rushed into my arms, wrapping her legs around my waist and screaming in my ear. From that day forth, she was no longer Kimmy Carter, Seth's little sister, she was the vicious Hermione SLAYher.

Seth's family was an extension of my own family and after my mom died, I went to live with them briefly. However, all it took was a horrible social worker to pull me from my safe haven. Maybe it was for the best though, people saw how Seth and I looked at each other and living under the same roof only screamed one thing: the possibility of a teen pregnancy.

After my gear and bags were loaded, I ran upstairs to grab a few lingering things, running into Paxton along the way. When his hands gripped my arms, I felt a wave of fear course through my body. I didn't like how he touched me anymore and if I could have chewed my own arm off like a wolf stuck in a trap, I would have.

"Rushing off into the unknown with a walking bag of testosterone." It wasn't really a question that left his lips; it felt like more of a subtle interrogation.

"I'm leaving with my band for a few weeks, is there a problem?"

"Maybe." He looked at me with a coldness to his normally soft chocolate eyes.

"Maybe? I don't actually see a problem, Paxton."

"Well, the problem lies in that you're getting too comfortable with my brother and now a new player has entered the game. I think that maybe when you get back, a discussion is warranted about where you and I are going to go from here, and we are going to go somewhere."

Oh, you mean where I tell you to stick your gorgeous head up your own ass and never put your hands on me again, kind of discussion?

I desperately wanted to close the door on the sexier than nails Paxton Reever, but after seeing his sudden shift in demeanor, I figured being this close to a flight of stairs and saying something signaled dire trouble.