5- I Am Starting School

“I almost forgot how much I hate school,” I groan as I slump down the stairs on Monday morning.

Emmett laughs from the kitchen and tosses me an unopened back of Pop Tarts. “I almost forgot how amusing it is to hear you complain about hating school,” He tells me.

“It’s not funny,” I argue. “I just hate mornings.”

“And that’s so funny,” He adds. “You know that you’re going to freeze outside in that outfit, don’t you?”

I look down at my outfit- it’s a leather skirt that comes to about mid-thigh and then a black and white horizontally striped shirt that’s partially covered up by a dressy red blazer. It looks cute, my outfit does, and it’s topped off with black bootie heels and my hair is in natural blonde waves around my face. “How cold is it outside?”

“It’s like, ten degrees, Vi,” He laughs.

I shrug. “I’ll only be outside for like, two seconds anyway. Now come on, I don’t want to be late for my first day.”

“We have to wait for Eli,” Emmett says.

“He has his own car,” I remind my brother as if he’s a little slow in the head.

“Yeah, but we drive to school together,” He explains. “Although from what I understand, you hate him for some reason that I’m not allowed to know.”

“You’re allowed to know,” I say, walking over to the stairs. “I’m just not going to be the one to tell you is all.”

“Okay then, Venice,” He sighs with a small eye roll.

I look up the stairs and yell up, assuming that Eli is up there somewhere. “Drive yourself to school! We’re leaving!” I yell. I don’t worry about my parents waking up or anything because they’re both at work already and I don’t know if Eli actually hears me or not because I don’t wait for a response, I just walk away and leave through the garage door with Emmett. His car isn’t in the garage, but it’s faster to get out to the driveway if we go through the garage so that’s what we do.

“Did he try to steal something from you or something like that?” Emmett wonders curiously.

I shrug, looking out the passenger side window and start eating my Pop Tart. “Something like that. Expect me to sit with you at lunch if we have the same lunch period by the way.”

“Sure,” He nods. “Do you have your schedule?”

I shake my head in the negative. “Nope. I have to stop by the office to pick it up before I go to class.”

“Are you nervous?” He asks me.

I shrug, blasting the heat in his car because it was seriously freezing and the heat was all the way down. “I’m sure I’ll be fine. I mean, I know that I’ll get a lot of attention but yeah, I’m sure that I’ll be fine. I happen to be a bit of an attention seeker so it might be fun.”

“That’s optimistic of you,” Emmett laughed.

“Well, I’m just saying that while I’m not excited to go back to Great Falls High School, I’m very excited to raise a little hell,” I say with a small grin.

“I’m sure that he-who-shall-not-me-named will be excited to see you and happy that you’re alive though, so that’s something else to look forward too, right?” He wonders.

I laugh even though my chest starts to hurt when I think about seeing Nate there at school, hating me and probably making out in the hallways with his new girlfriend (and he probably has one because let’s face it- he’s really amazing and any girl would be lucky to date him). “Now who’s the optimistic one?”