The Dare

This is my first REAL story so feel free to let me know what you think!

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

::Roc's POV::

I leaned against my locker in my signature pose with my hands in my pockets and one foot propped up behind me as I scanned the hallway, looking for the hottest girl of the moment. Suddenly, my eyes landed on a girl who was a little shorter than me, but was thick as hell with long, brown hair. Nice.

"Aye shawty, come here." I said, smiling that smile that the ladies always loved.

She walked over to me. "Hey Chresanto."

I licked my lips and smiled again. "Call me Roc."

She smiled back just as my enemy of 2 years appeared, with that devilish smirk on her face. Ugh. I rolled my eyes.

"Well, well, well. Look who we have here, the biggest manwhore in the school."

I shot her a look. "Shut it, Alexandria."

"What? Is the little boy mad that I'm telling the truth?"

"I'm not little, you and I both know that. Why don't you just leave? You're not needed. I'm kind of in the middle of something here anyway." I gestured to the girl, whose name I didn't know yet.

"Well, Casey, I suggest you move on," she said, nodding at the girl as if I wasn't here. "You wouldn't want this fool giving you STD's."

Casey looked me up and down in disgust and walked away like I was the dirtiest person in the world. I kissed my teeth. She acts like it's her job to ruin shit for me.

"Fuck you, Alex."

"When?" She smirked, coming closer to me. "You're so full of it."

"Eat a dick."

I took two steps back, opened my locker and grabbed my books, slamming the locker door closed. I wasn't upset because I lost Casey without getting her number, if that's what you're thinking. It's because she had to go spread some rumor that I have STD's for no reason and she knew I wasn't over it yet. When did she decide that it was okay to be Queen Bitch?

I walked away swiftly, heading to my class. I wasn't actually late - for once - and I could tell that it surprised my teacher. I tucked my book under one arm as I walked through the door.

She looked at me from behind her desk where she appeared to be grading a stack of papers. "Well, Mr. August. You decided to be on time today."

"Yeah, you know I love learning." I said sarcastically, even though my grades weren't bad at all. But then again, no one needed to know that.

"I expect you to keep it up Chresanto."

"If that would help you sleep at night." I shuffled in my desk and put my head down, waiting on the bell to ring signaling the end of homeroom. This was gonna be a long day.

*

::Lunch Period; Wave B::

I walked into the lunch room and sat at my usual table with my boys. I don't know how we always ended up with the same lunch period, but I was happy that I didn't need to find new people to sit with. I didn't need any new friends; they just caused trouble.

"Sup man?"

"Same old, same old." I said, giving Ray dap.

"Hey Roc," Craig said before turning to Jacob and hitting him upside his afro-covered head.

"Owww! What the hell Prod," he yelled. Still, he turned around, wrapping his arm around his girlfriend Lauren's waist. You see, Lauren was also the co-captain of the cheerleading squad. Guess who's the other one? If you guessed Alexandria, you must think you're smart right about now. "Oh...hey Roc."

I jerked my chin up. "'Sup?"

"Well me and Laur-"

Ray waved his hand, effectively cutting him off. "Uh, yeah, blah blah. All I wanna know is where I can get some good food in this joint."

I looked at Ray, trying not to laugh at Princeton's hurt/irritated expression.

"Try the snack bar." Prod pointed to the sign hanging above the bar that said 'TACOS'.

"Be right back." He got up and sped away from the table and I chuckled.

"You would think he'd be bigger than us with all that stuff he eats."

"I know right."

Prince shook his head. "Soo what was with you and Alex in the hall this morning?"

"The usual," I bit into my burger and chewed slowly, trying not to swallow before he asked another question. I already knew I needed an excuse not to open my mouth for this next one.

"You two are always going at it. If I didn't know any better, I'd think you two liked each other." I almost spit my food out, but Ray chose that time to come back with a huge tray of tacos and sit in my spit-zone. This fool Craig didn't know what he was talking about.

"I bet they do," he said, unwrapping a taco and biting into it.

"Don't waste your breath. I don't go for the bitches."

Lauren shifted in her seat. "C'mon Chres, stop frontin'!"

"I'm not!"

"Defensive..."

I sighed. "I am not."

"Prove it then, lover boy."

"How would I do that? And my name isn't 'lover boy'."

"Whatever you say, Chresanto."

I looked at Ray as he rubbed his chin as if he was in thought, but of course it didn't surprise me. I knew that he had already thought of something. I've known him for too long. "Go on a date with her. And if you guys get together, you have to stay with her for at least 2 months then break up with her. I double dare you."

"But-"

"Eh!"

"Ray-"

"Blah!"

I rubbed my temples. This is gonna be one hell of a bet. "This is stupid."

"You gonna pass up a dare? Dare Devil August is scared? Never thought I'd see the day!"

I instantly regained my composure. I was a sucker for a challenge. "You haven't." I dipped a couple of french fries in ketchup and brought them to my mouth, chewing in thought. "What do I get if I win?"

"Bragging rights.... and I'll leave you alone about this."

"And?"

"And?!"

"Yeah, and looser gives up 100 bucks."

"Nigga I'm broke!"

"Nigga you made the bet! Suck it up!"

Ray kissed his teeth. "Fine, deal."

"Alright then."

I smirked, satisfied. I got this. Alexandria, get ready.

*

::After the Final Bell::

Ray and I walked out of the U.S. History class, glad to be out of this hell-hole for the day. I stopped short when I saw Alexandria standing near her locker, hoping that he didn't see her too.

"Go."

"But I'm not ready."

"You're Roc Royal. You're always ready." He said, shoving me, but not hard enough to move me.

"Damn boy, just go!" I heard Lauren say from behind me.

"Fuck all of ya'll." I muttered.

I put my game face on and walked up to Alexandria's locker and pushed the door as if I was going to close it to catch her attention. Unfortunately, she still had a mirror on the outside of the door, so she paid me no mind.

"Why are you here?" she said, examining her lips in the mirror.

"I need to talk to you Lexi." She stopped messing with her lip gloss and looked at me.

"Did you just call me Lexi?"

"Yeah." I smiled at her and she smiled back, but stopped abruptly.

"What do you want, August?"

"I want to stop arguing with you."

She simply folded her arms; I knew she didn't believe me.

Shit, I didn't believe this myself, but I had a bet to win.

"Right."

"I knew you'd act like this."

"Act like what?"

"This," I stressed, waving my arms. "You always blow stuff up like I'm lying."

"But you are."

"How the fuck would you know? You're not listening to me anyway." I shook my head. "You know what? I'm out of here."

I turned on the heels of my new Jordans and started to walk off, but she grabbed my arm. I looked back at her and raised an eyebrow

"I'm sorry."

"Whatever. You're always acting like a bitch now." I couldn't help but notice we have an audience. Work the crowd, Chres, work the crowd, I thought.

"I am not."

"You are. To think I used to like you." Her mouth opened like she had to say something, but she closed it. I pressed my lips together, holding back a satisfied smile. I'm good. Too good.

"Really?"

"Yeah." I shoved my hands in my pockets.

"We'll maybe we can start over? Well...If you're up to it, I mean."

Hook, line, and sinker.

I smiled, biting down on my bottom lip as I slipped my new number into her hand.

"Call me sometime."

I walked back to Ray and gave him dap. He laughed.

"You should be an actor, man. That was too good."

I smirked. "Thanks."

I left the school feeling oddly happy that day. Why? I don't know. I pray it doesn't have anything to do with Alexandria. I'm not trying to catch feelings.... Not this time.