Chapter 51

***Aragorn POV***

I watch helplessly as my vision from last night comes to life before my very eyes. My eyes fill with tear as Aleana runs towards the mountain and her necklace falls from my neck, crashing to the floor, breaking the gem. The others look on with just as much shock, and though we had destroyed Sauron, none of us could bring ourselves to shout in victory.

Suddenly a colorful butterfly flits about my head before moving to Gandalf and landing on his shoulder. It seems to whisper something in his ear and Gandalf's eyes widen in surprise.

"What is it Gandalf," I ask, but he ignores me, calling to the eagles and quickly climbing on the back of one before flying towards Mount Doom. We stand there, unsure of what was happening, but understanding finally dawns when the eagles once again come into view. Within their claws, I see three carefully held figures. Aleana, Frodo, and Sam.

Hope festers in my heart and we quickly mount our horses and ride towards Minas Tirith as Gandalf flies there. I watch as the eagles drop off all four of them on the top of the healing tower and as soon as I enter the city, I dismount, running towards the healing room.

By the time I reach there, all three of them had been shifted to their separate rooms. Gandalf stood waiting outside, for us, and I run to him. He looks up at me with a smile, happiness flourishing in his eyes.

"Are they..."

"Frodo and Sam will be fine, they made it. Our hobbits live," Gandalf says happily and I smile, but I cannot be happy until I know of Aleana.

"And Aleana?"

"She will live, but..."

"But what," I ask, running out of patience. Gandalf sighs before continuing.

"She is no longer immortal, and I am quite sure she has lost her powers as well. Her life will be long still as is yours, but one day she will pass."

"This is my fault," I whisper and Gandalf puts a hand on my shoulder.

"No, this is not anyone's fault. She knew what would happen and even if she was in the undying lands when we destroyed the ring, the outcome would be the same. Do not blame yourself," Gandalf tries to make me feel better, but I can't stop the guilt that finds it's way in my heart.

...

Frodo and Sam wake the same day, and we had all been happy as we were all reunited. Aleana had still not woken, and I couldn't even bring myself to go see her. My steps would falter outside her door and I could never muster up the courage to even place my hand to open it. And just like that, each day I would turn away, only hearing how she is faring from Legolas.

Everyone else had started the preparations of crowning me king, and though I wished Aleana to wake before the crowning occurred, I also knew that this was important and must be done as soon as possible. And so I let them continue as I continued to sulk, feeling guiltier by the day.

***Aleana POV***

I open my eyes slowly, the bright light blinding me. After a few more attempts, I manage to open my eyes and at first I think this is the afterlife, but with one look around my room, I realize I am in the Healing Rooms of Gondor. Slowly, I sit up, happy that I had survived, but I'm confused as to where everyone else was.

Suddenly the door to my room opens and I look up expectantly, hoping it is Aragorn, but it is Legolas followed by Lord Elrond. And though I am happy to see them as well, I cannot shake away the slight disappointment I feel.

"How are you faring, Aleana," Lord Elrond asks.

"Quite alright, but what of everyone else? Frodo? Sam," I ask alarmed.