Chapter 42

***Aleana POV***

After Isengard, we wish luck to Treebeard and head back to Rohan. As soon as we entered the Golden Hall, I head to my room to take a bath and wash the exhaustion from the battle away. The warmth of the water soothes my aching bones and I sigh in relief, allowing myself to relax in the bath. A knock on the door has me casting my eyes towards it and I call out, asking who it was.

"It is Eowyn. I brought you a dress. Uncle Theoden says to wear it for we are gathering to celebrate our victory."

"Of course, just leave it on my bed," I call out and I hear her footsteps fade as she walks away. A few more moments in the bath leave me feeling much refreshed and I reluctantly step out, heading to my bed where the dress lay. It was a beautiful deep red, the chest littered with golden works and the sleeves long and snug. I smile, tracing my hands over the soft silk of the cloth before changing into it.

It fit perfectly and I enjoy how comfortable it felt. Using a cloth, I dry my hair as best as I could before taking two strands from either side and braiding them to join in the back in one long braid. The rest of my hair falls down to my waist in black waves. I slip on my boots and head out into the Golden Hall where many of the soldiers were already seated, awaiting the arrival of their king.

I spot Aragorn sitting in the front, a mug in his hand, and I notice he has taken a bath as well and had changed out of the battle worn clothes. I can't help but smile at how handsome he looked, lost in thought as all others around him chatted with one another. A bit of the color of my dress finds its way on my cheeks as I move towards him. He looks up as I take a seat beside him and the worry in his eyes slowly falls away as happiness fills his eyes at the sight of me. I smile back at him just as Uncle Theoden walks in.

As Theoden moves to the front of the hall towards his throne, soldiers hand out mugs of ale and one finds its way in my hand, though I try to refuse.

"Here, take this," Aragorn moves his mug towards me, gesturing for me to hand him mine.

"I do not know what difference it would make," I ask confused, unsure why he was giving me his mug of ale, only to take mine.

"It is tea, that is why," he says, taking my mug as I take his, noticing that his was indeed tea.

"Tea? Since when did the great Lord Aragorn drink tea over ale."

"Since a beautiful lady told him it was relaxing," he winks and I can't stop my smile from widening.

We turn to face Theoden as he stood in front of everyone. Eowyn offers him a goblet of wine before retiring behind him. Theoden offers the goblet in toast.

"Tonight we remember those who gave their blood to defend this country. Hail the victorious dead!"

"Hail," the people of Rohan shout before drinking from their mugs.

Soon the celebration is in full swing as everyone stands around, talking, eating and drinking. There was laughter all around and I move through the crowds. Suddenly, a hand clamps around my upper arm and pulls me into a darkened hallway. I am pushed gently to the wall and I look up to see Aragorn standing close and looking down at me.

"Aragorn?"

"Why is that you and I can never be alone," he asks, leaning in so our foreheads were touching.

"And why would you like to be alone? Is it not more merry with friends?"

"No, I wish to be only with you," he answers in a whisper, leaning closer.

"Hmmm..." his lips brush against mine, teasing as he doesn't fully kiss me. His hands travel down to rest on my waist, bringing his body closer to mine, as his lips move from my lips. He begins trailing feather-like kisses from my jaw to my neck and I gasp at the sensation when his lips meet my collarbone.

I feel him smile against my skin, obviously enjoying how he was making me feel. I cup his face and bring it up, looking into his vibrant blue eyes before placing my lips on his. He responds immediately, kissing me back passionately and this time I smile as he deepens the kiss. His body presses mine against the wall, leaving no space between us.

We disconnect our lips for a moment, gasping for air as we look at each other, wanting so much more. But, just as Aragorn moves to connect our lips once more, we hear a shout from the entrance of the hallway. We turn to look Legolas standing there while Gimli is walking towards us.

"The lass is coming with us, you may have your moment some other time," Gimli states and before Aragorn or I can complain, he has taken my hand and is pulling me towards Legolas.

I turn back to see Aragorn and can't stop the laughter from leaving my lips as I watch his expressions change. From dumbfounded, to surprised, and then to dejected. He obviously had wanted us to be alone and if I was to be honest, I had too, but I let Gimli drag me away towards where Eomer stood.

"We are going to play a drinking game lass," Gimli says, taking a seat on a table while I stand beside Eomer.

"We," I ask just as Legolas steps up to the table and I look on surprised. Eomer hands the both of them the first tankard and I can't help but smile, knowing very well who was going to win.

"No pauses, no spills," Eomer states the rules.

"And no regurgitation. Las one standing wins" Gimli laughs, lifting the tankard to his mouth and finishing it in one go.

Everyone around the table watches as both Legolas and Gimli drink one tankard after another without stopping or slowing down, though I could tell it was definitely affecting Gimli as he talks nonsense.

"I feel something," we look to Legolas and see him looking at his fingers, "a slight tingle in my fingers. I think it's affecting me."

Legolas looks so concerned and Eomer and I exchange a glance before bursting out laughing. Gimli laughs as well, his words slurring.

"What did I say," he laughs, "he can't hold his liqour."

Gimli's eyes are crossed and he sits quietly for a few moments when suddenly he falls backwards off his stool. Legolas looks to us, looking quite proud of himself for winning.

"Game over," he says and I laugh just as hand encompass both of mine and I look down to see Merry and Pippin on either one.

"Come with us Aleana! We are going to sing!"

They pull me away from Eomer and towards where father stood. After they make sure I was standing with father, they climb a table and begin dancing and singing. I watch them, standing a little in front of father, with a smile, clapping along to their song. For a moment Pippin stops, looking to father and hesitating and my own clapping and smile falter.

There was something different about Pippin and unfortunately I could not put my finger on it. Before I can comment on his behavior, Merry pulls him back to the song and everyone laughs as they finish, clapping and cheering. I can't help but join them.

I feel someone stand behind me and turn slightly to see it is Aragorn. He stood beside father, squeezing my shoulder for a moment before turning to father.

"No news of Frodo," Aragorn asks and I turn my attention to them.

"No word. Nothing."

"We have time. Every day Frodo moves closer to Mordor," Aragorn answers.

"Do we know that," father asks and I turn around to see father looking to Aragorn sadly.

"What does your heart tell you," Aragorn asks and a small smile appears on father's face.

"That Frodo is alive. Yes, yes he's alive," father says and I smile, agreeing, before turning around and looking to see Merry and Pippin start another song.

A/n: Hope you like it! Sorry I couldn't update yesterday, I was so stressed and exhausted! But here is the chapter and I hope you enjoy this. Also because I didn't update yesterday, I may update one or two more chapters today to make up for it.

Comment and vote!

Thank you!