Chapter 44

***Aleana POV***

Every moment I had, I would stand on the watchtower, watching the beacon of Gondor, waiting for it to be lit. A few days pass and now I was getting worried, wondering if father and Pippin had even made it to Minas Tirith. I stand outside, my eyes trained on the beacon, waiting and hoping. I had changed back into my tunic and pants, out of my dress, so that I was ready when we had leave. 

I sigh, feeling so helpless as a small breeze pushes my hair back. Suddenly a hand clamps down on my shoulder and I turn in surprise, only to relax after seeing it is Aragorn.

"Standing out here will not light the beacon, Aleana," his voice is filled with concern for me, "you are going to tire yourself. You spend every waking moment out here, you need rest, both of mind and body."

"How do I rest, Aragorn," I look away from him, my eyes once more on the beacon, "there is not just one thing I worry about. How do we even know if father and Pippin made it to Minas Tirith? And how do we know that Gondor will even let them light the beacons to call for help? And if somehow they manage, would Uncle Theoden ride out there, would he risk the lives of his men for them? 

We cannot win this battle without the help of all our allies. But I'm afraid that old forgotten promises are just that, forgotten. And Men are proud folk, unlike you, they will not so easily ask for help, nor go to help. Sauron's forces are large in numbers and in strength. What can a few men do against that?"

He turns me, pulling me to him. His arms go around my waist and mine go around his. My head rests on his chest, still watching the beacon while his head rests atop my head. 

"Do you remember in Rivendell, you told me that as long as you breathe, you would hope. That is what we have, what these few men have. And as long as hope lives, we can survive this. And we will, and I know that is what your heart tells you. Trust in that."

I nod when suddenly the beacon lights. I pull away from Aragorn, pointing at the beacon and he looks to it as well. With  a quick glance at each other, we run into the Great Hall, bursting through the door. 

"The beacons of Minas Tirith," we shout together, "the beacons are lit!"

Theoden and his generals turn towards us, looking unsure. There is a hesitation around the room, but I only look to Theoden, moving towards him.

"Uncle," he looks at me, "they did not come for aid when you required it, but if you recall the elves did. If they can remember old alliances, why can't you? What is more important? Your pride, your grudges against each other? Or the importance of fighting against the one evil in this world that threatens every child, every woman, every Man, Elf, Dwarf? Do we unite and show Sauron that Men are not so weak or do you let him win?"

"Gondor calls for aid," Aragorn states, moving to stand beside me and looking to Theoden as well, awaiting his answer. There is a pause of a few seconds, though it feels like a lifetime, before Theoden answers.

"And Rohan will answer," I smile at his answer and he turns to Eomer, "muster the Rohirrim."

Eomer bows to him and leaves. The bell rings out to gather the Rohirrim together. Theoden leaves the hall hurriedly in full armor and I turn to Aragorn happily and he smiles down at me. 

"What did I tell you? Hope thrives in their heart, and as long as that hope is there, Sauron can only do so much. For they will fight as long as we all hope."

"I was foolish to doubt them," I answer, slightly embarrassed.

"No, for you are right. Men - even myself - are proud and easily manipulated. I wouldn't have been surprised if Theoden had not agreed. But there is good in his heart, as in the hearts of all. He chose to walk that path, while others aren't smart enough to make that choice. Someone once told me that everyone has good and bad within them. It is the path they choose that makes them who they are, not their race. And we do not get to judge them for it."

I smile as he repeats my words from when we were at mother's. 

"Come, let us ready our horse."

"Of course, but you will have to excuse me for a moment. I must grab my bow and sword from my room. I will meet you out there."

He nods, leaning in and placing a kiss on my forehead before we both turn and head where we needed to go. I push through the crowds of soldiers and women that were preparing for the upcoming battle. I head to my room and grab my cloak and bow. When I move to pick up my knapsack, mother's necklace falls out of it.

I pick it up, admiring its beauty. But, would I ever have the opportunity to return this to her? My mind goes back to when we were at Lothlorien. When I had told mother I loved her on the boat, she had spoke in my mind. She had told me that there was no writing that couldn't be reversed, and no forging that couldn't be undone. Did she think that I could possibly make it out of this battle with my life, that after the destruction of the ring I would actually survive?

"Wish me luck, mother," I whisper to the necklace, placing a small kiss on the opal in the center before securing the necklace in my knapsack once more. Then without another second of delay, I run out through the doors and down the steps. I spot Aragorn and Eowyn speaking as they tended to their own horses. I knew the women would ride till the encampment, a tradition of the Rohans for the women of the court to farewell the men. That meant Eowyn would accompany as well. 

As I descend the steps, both their heads turn to me and I send a smile their way. Aragorn smiles back, but Eowyn just looks to the ground sadly before turning away and leaving with her horse. I walk up to Aragorn, my worried gaze still on Eowyn as she walked away. Aragorn takes my knapsack and secures it to Brego's saddle and I turn to look at him angrily. 

"Everything alright, Aleana," he asks, a bit of fear in his voice, but mostly confusion. 

"Have you said something to Eowyn? Back at Helm's Deep she was quite curt with me, almost angry. And every since we came back, she avoids me at all cost. Even now she refuses to look me in the eye."

"I have said nothing that would cause her to be upset with you. We didn't let her fight at Helm's Deep which is why she was angry, and even know I told her to not enter a battle she doesn't need to fight. Perhaps it goes ill with her that you are able to fight, but we stop her."

My anger fades and I smile in understanding, "that sounds like Eowyn. I will speak with her at the encampment. I had thought perhaps it was her finding out that we were together that had upset her."

"I do not even think she knows."

"What do you mean, we announced it. Or more like you did," he smiles at the memory.

"Yes, but no one spoke of it after, nor were any whispers heard. Only the soldiers within that room know. I don't think many cared of it enough to tell the others."

"I'm surprised. Uncle and Eomer were there as well. I would think they would have told her."

"They've been busy, we all have been. There has been much going on. I would not be surprised if they don't even remember what we did."

"But how can you be so sure she doesn't know?"

"She hasn't spoken to me any differently, and actually did profess her love for me in a restrained manner. Seems you were right and yet I-"

I cut him off, "that is behind us Aragorn. There is no point in dwelling in the past. Come now, we will worry about who knows of our love life later. For now it is time to ride out. By the grace of the Valar, may we all be protected in our journey."

Aragorn nods before mounting Brego. I mount Brego as well, considering we had a limited number of horses and the soldiers all needed one. I sit in front of Aragorn and we look to our right as Legolas and Gimli ride up next to us on their horse. They nod to us and I smile back before looking to Eomer who was now speaking. 

"Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan," Eomer shouts to the soldiers, "oaths you have taken. Now fulfil them all, to Lord and Land! Hah!"

And with that, we gallop from Edoras, making our way towards the encampment.

A/n: Alright! Got another chapter! Woohoo! Hope you like it!

Comment and vote!

Thank you!