Chapter 14

***Aleana POV***

I wake to moonlight streaming through the windows of my room. I had slept almost the whole day, and though I was still exhausted and sleepy, I sit up in bed, wishing to see Rivendell in all its beauty while everyone was asleep.

Getting up, I move to the wardrobe, looking through the dresses that hung there. After much looking, I pick a simple champagne dress, and step into it. I take a belt and tie it across my waist before brushing my hair and tying two strands from the side of my head together in the back. 

I head out my room, walking down the stairs and looking to the beauty of Rivendell. There was a soft lull of the wind in the air and the quiet murmur of a waterfall. I inhaled the sweet scent that hung in the air. 

As I continue exploring Rivendell as if it was my first time here, I spot Aragorn heading somewhere with a book in his hand. I call to him.

"Aragorn," he turns at my voice, as a small smile comes to his lips.

"Lady Aleana, you are awake?" I walk up to him, standing before him. 

"Yes, though I am still tired even after having slept almost the whole day."

"You were much weak when I brought you here, you should rest in your room."

"I will, I just wished to see Rivendell when all was quiet," I look around before I look back to Aragorn, "where were you going?"

"To Lord Elrond's chambers, I could not sleep and thus decided to read."

"Do you mind if I join you?"

"Not at all," he turns and I follow as we walk to Elrond's chambers in a comfortable silence. He leads me in before he takes a seat in a corner. I move around the room, watching the many paintings that hung from the walls. 

"Aleana, there is something I must confide in with you, if you allow me to do so," I turn to Aragorn, before moving to the seat across from him.

"Of course," I look to him kindly, listening as he closes his book and looks at me. 

"I spoke with Arwen earlier today," I smile at him, continuing to listen, but the ache in my heart does not go unnoticed when he mentions Arwen's name. What was wrong with me?

"Everything worked out for when I spoke my concern of our relationship, she agreed it better to be friends than be bound in a relationship that would tear us apart later. I believe she truly felt relieved and we were able to part without any ill feelings."

"That is indeed good, but how do you feel Aragorn?"

"At ease," he smiles at me and I see he looked a lot less stressed since the last time we spoke of Arwen, "I feel that I can be at ease knowing she will find happiness and love which I would be unable to give her."

"And what of your own happiness and love?"

"Perhaps I will find the one for me in the years I have left, if I live long enough," he jokes and I laugh softly. 

"I am happy for the both of you and hope to Valar that you both may find what you are looking for in your lifetimes."

"Thank you Aleana, for listening and for being there for me," he smiles.

"Always," I smile back and he leans back, opening his book once more. I also pick up a book and begin reading. A few hundred pages in, my eyes begin to close as I fall into a quiet slumber on my chair. 

***Aragorn POV***

I look up from my book after about an hour, remembering I still had to ask Aleana of her arm. But when my eyes fall on her, I see she is asleep, her head resting on the back and a book laying open on her lap. I get up from my chair and gently pick up the book before placing my cloak over her body and she sighs in content. 

I settle back into my chair, continuing to read, when someone walks in. It is Boromir from Gondor. He does not see me as I watch from the shadows as he strolls through the darkened gallery. He stops before an old fresco, depicting Isildur defeating Sauron. 

He turns suddenly, noticing me. He looks me up and down before his gaze settles on a sleeping Aleana and my heart clenches in anger, though I do not know why, when I see him continue to gaze at her. I am about to speak when he turns back to me, looking confused. 

"You are no Elf," he says.

"Men of the South are welcome here," I answer. 

"Who are you?"

"I am a friend to Gandalf they Grey," I reply and he nods. His eyes turn to Aleana again.

"And who is she?"

"Lady Aleana, daughter of Gandalf," his eyes turn to me again in quiet surprise.

"And are you together?"

"I do not know what you mean," I answer vaguely and he hums in response.

"We are here on common purpose...friend," he smiles uncomfortably as I look at him in silence. 

He moves towards a cloth-covered plinth, where lies Narsil, the broken blade of Elendil. He looks at it with wonderment.

"The shards of Narsil," he says in quiet awe, "the blade that cut the Ring from Sauron's hand."

He pick up the sword, gently touching the blade and drawing blood from his finger accidentally.

"Still sharp," he mutters as he looks to me, blade still in hand, "but no more than a broken heirloom." 

Boromir replaces the blade, but it clatters to the floor, startling Aleana awake at the sound. He walks away, leaving Aleana and I alone. She looks half-asleep as she rubs her eyes. I leave her there, getting up and moving towards the fallen blade. I pick up the broken hilt, looking at it as I feel her presence behind me.

"Why do you fear the past," Aleana asks as I place the blade back on the plinth and turn to her, "you are Isildur's heir, not Isildur himself. You are not bound to his fate."

"The same blood flows in my veins...the same weakness," my eyes fall to the ground in shame. Her hand comes up, cupping my cheek as she lifts my head slightly so I would meet her eyes. I look into her hazel orbs, easily getting lost in their calm. 

She proceeds to take off the necklace around her neck, a blue diamond cut stone hanging on it, glowing faintly and held in a brass casing. Grabbing my hand, she places it on my upturned palm before turning her eyes to meet mine. 

"This is the Light of Feanor, gifted to me by my mother when I was merely a child, the only thing I have to remind me of her," she closes my fingers around it, "I wish for you to have it."

"I cannot take something so important," I whisper.

"It is not so happy a trinket you would think it to be," she laughs, though there is a sadness with it.

"This necklace was a constant reminder that there was no place for me with my mother or among her kind. Each day it seemed to scream out to me that I had no place with her and it filled me with such anger. That anger caused me to try to push father away as well, and it was many years later that the necklace taught me something else.

For each time I pushed father away, he pulled me closer, and finally I realized that I was not bound to my past. That my decisions were my own and did not reflect those made by my kin before me.

This necklace then became a beacon of hope as I was able to let go of my anger and finally move forward. It was this very necklace that allowed me to let go of my past and realize that the only fate I am bound to is the fate I choose for myself.

I hope it will be able to do the same for you Aragorn, and that is why I insist you take it, for there is more to you than you dare to see," she looks up at me with the kindest smile, her eyes sparkling. 

"Thank you Aleana," I whisper, smiling back at her, as my hands clutches the necklace tighter.

A/n: What do you guys think?! I absolutely adore Aleana and Aragorn's conversation. But who is her mother? I wonder...hmm...

Comment and vote!

Thank you!