Chapter 1

***Aleana POV***

The cart rattles on the leafy pathway as we head towards Bag End. My brown cloak hood was drawn over my long, black hair as my hazel eyes looked around, taking in the beauty of the Shire, admiring the bright white lilies scattered across the luscious green grass. Father sat next to me, reins in his hand as he guided the horse forward. 

"You're late."

We both turn towards the new voice, Father stopping the cart. A young handsome hobbit stood on a small hill bringing his small 3' 6" frame at level with us. He had dark curly hair and bright blue eyes and I smile, recognizing him as Frodo Baggins. 

Father glowers at him, " A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to."

They look at each other for a moment before they both start laughing. A smile finds a way on my lips as Frodo jumps onto Father, hugging him.

"It's wonderful to see you, Gandalf!"

"You didn't think I'd miss your Uncle Bilbo's birthday," father asks with a twinkle in his eyes. 

Frodo gets off father and turns to me, and I take him in my arms, hugging him. 

"Aleana! It is so good to see you after so long. You are as beautiful as ever!"

I laugh heartily, "you make me blush Master Frodo, after all you are just as handsome if not more since the last time I saw you."

He laughs before pulling away and sitting between father and I, and we continue down the path once more. We pass by a field that was being tended by hobbits and a few looked up, taking notice of us. 

"What news of the outside world? Tell me everything," Frodo exclaims, excited. Father looks down at him, the twinkle still evident in his eyes. 

"What, everything? Far too eager and curious for a Hobbit. Most unnatural," Father says as the cart makes its way into a busy Hobbit Marketplace, more heads turning towards us.

"Well, what can I tell you? Life in the wide world goes on much as if it has past age. Full of its own comings and goings, scarcely even aware of the existence of Hobbits...for which I am very thankful."

Frodo looks to me, "have been on any recent adventures Aleana?"

"Every day is an adventure Master Frodo, if one perceives it so," I smile down at him and he beams back.

Hobbits look up exclaiming in wonder and excitement as we pass the Green Dragon inn towards the party field where scores of Hobbits are busy preparing for Bilbo's birthday. 

"Ah, the long expected party. So, how is the old rascal," father asks, "I hear it's going to be a Party of Special Magnificence."

"You know Bilbo...he's got the whole place in an uproar."

"I expect nothing less from him," I comment.

"Oh, well...that should please him," father nods.  

"Half the Shire's been invited..."

"Good gracious, me," father exclaims.

"He's up to something."

"Oh, really?"

Frodo shoots a knowing look as father averts his eyes. Frodo looks to me.

"Do not look to me Frodo for father keeps more secrets from me than anyone else," I joke although I knew everything most of the time. 

"Alright then...keep your secrets," he narrows his eyes at Father and I can't help but laugh, "Before you came along we Bagginses were very well thought of."

"Indeed," father asks, amused.

"Never had any adventures or did anything unexpected."

"If you're referring to the incident with the Dragon, I was barely involved, all I did was give your Uncle a little nudge out the door."

"Whatever you did, you've been officially labelled as a Disturber of the Peace."

I laugh out loud and father turns to me in mock anger, "Oh, really?"

"And what did they label me as Frodo," I ask, truly curious. 

"The most beautiful lady in all of Middle Earth," he replies.

"Oh," I chuckle, "that is quite a long label and untrue."

"I would not think so Lady Aleana. You truly are most beautiful, even Uncle says so."

"You are truly a charmer Frodo Baggins," I laugh and his smile widens, showing off his dimples. We pass a hobbit tending to his garden in the front of his door and he looks up, deeply suspicious.

We enter the village of Hobbiton and I admire the quaint rustic settlement. Beautiful and peaceful it sat nestled amongst rolling green hills and large trees. The Hobbits lived in their Hobbit holes. They were neat burrows dug into the grassy hillside with round doors and cute front gardens. And always a kind heart could be found within.

Children's excited shouts has me turning around, tearing my eyes from the beauty around me and I see them chasing after the cart, asking for fireworks. Father ignores their cries and they stand deflated as we disappear up the lane. Just then, spinning balls of bright color suddenly leap out of our cart, fizzing over the heads of the now delighted children. I turn back to look at father and he is smiling to himself, obviously pleased with his joke.

I shake my head at father's childishness, but loving him for it even more. Suddenly Frodo stands up and father reigns in the horse. He turns to father.

"Gandalf, I'm glad you're back," he leaps expertly from the cart and father smiles at him as he runs off. 

"So am I, dear boy, so am I..."

Father continues down the path, pulling up outside the gate to Bag End, a very fine Hobbit hole, with a large round door set into a grassy hillside. A sign is hanging on the gate reading "NO ADMITTANCE EXCEPT ON PARTY BUSINESS." I laugh to myself when I read it. Father strides up to the garden path as I follow, stopping before the door when he raises his staff and raps on the front door. From within, a voice calls out.

"No, thank you! We don't want any more visitors, well wishers, or distant relations," Bilbo yells from inside.

"And what about very old friends," father asks.

Suddenly the door opens and Bilbo Baggins stands before us, a mischievous twinkle in his eyes. He is wearing a dashing brocade waist coast, looking very much the eccentric gentleman he was.

"Looking quite the gentleman Master Baggins, I hope you haven't forgotten us," I joke.

Bilbo laughs, delighted to see us. 

"Gandalf! Aleana!" 

"Bilbo Baggins," father drops to his knee to embrace him, myself following suit, "It's good to see you. One hundred and eleven years old, who would believe it!"

Bilbo laughs and turns to me, "Lady Aleana, you look as beautiful as ever, you haven't even changed."

"Thank you Bilbo, but look at you. You haven't aged a day!"

We all laugh and Bilbo ushers us inside, "come on, come in! Welcome, welcome," he exclaims as we enter his home, memories flooding back. 

A/n: Hope you enjoyed the first chapter! I will try to update as soon as I can and just letting you know, this book will be quite long because I am following the script pretty much word for word, and although that will change and there will be more of my original writing, I still hope you enjoy it!

Comment and vote!

Thank you!