Chapter 19

***Aleana POV***

I lay on Aragorn as the Crebain pass overhead, but I did not care for that as I was lost in his blue eyes. I knew how close we were, our lips centimeters apart, and a strange warmth filled my chest and the urge to kiss him suddenly grew. However I resisted, and once the danger was gone, I quickly stumble to my feet, feeling my face grow hot. I am unable to look at him as the others stagger out from their hiding spots.

I help father to his feet and he looks out at the retreating Crebain.

"Spies of Saruman. The passage south is being watched," he looks to Aragorn and then to me before gesturing towards a high mountain pass, "we must take the Pass of Caradhras."

I try not to complain as we quickly head towards the snowy mountain, for I hated the cold. I was just thankful I had not forgotten my cloak and I quickly pull it on, though it does little to keep the cold away.

We clamber through rock and snow, when suddenly Frodo slips.

"Frodo," I yell and turn to him, hoping to stop him, but instead fall right after him. It is Aragorn that stops our tumbling down the snowy mountainside. Frodo scrambles to his feet as Aragorn lifts me to mine, holding my hand and I find I am still unable to meet his gaze though I know his gaze rests on me. I look to see Frodo looking around frantically and that is when I notice the ring gleaming in the snow a few feet away.

Boromir steps to it and picks it up by the chain, looking to it with a strange look in his eyes.

"Boromir," Aragorn asks warily.

"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing...such a little thing," Boromir says and I can't help but cast my eyes down in shame, feeling slightly guilty for it was my blood that flowed in the ring and gave it it's power. Aragorn squeezes my hand gently, as if telling me it was not my fault. I notice his other hand move to his sword's hilt.

Boromir suddenly snaps out of his trance and steps forwards, handing the ring to Frodo.

"As you wish," he says lightly as Frodo snatches the ring from him, placing it around his neck once more, "I care not."

He smiles at Frodo and ruffles his hair, before turning around and walking away. Aragorn unhands his sword and with a small glance at me, he drops my hand and we once again head up the snowy path.

***Aragorn POV***

We struggle through a blinding blizzard, up towards the Pass of Caradhras. Legolas is the only one able to lightly move across the top of the snow while the rest of are knees deep in the coldness. I kept Frodo and Sam close to me, while Aleana looked after Pippin and Merry. I look back to see Boromir grabbing Aleana's waist, steadying her as she almost falls. The irritation I had felt earlier returns, and though I was glad he was helping her, I wish it had been me.

I tried not to think about our encounter earlier while we were hiding, but I can't lie. At that time all I wanted to do was kiss her lips, never to let her go. Somehow I resisted and wondered what thoughts ran through her mind when we were there. She had quickly got up when the danger had passed and refused to look at me afterwards. Was she just embarrassed or was she regretful even though nothing happened?

Suddenly Legolas pauses, looking out as a voice sweeps by on the wind. He is chanting something in Quenya.

"There is a fell voice on the air," Legolas informs urgently.

"It's Saruman," Gandalf yells to be heard over the deafening wind. Suddenly thunder rumbles and rock and shale fall from above.

"He's trying to bring down the mountain," I yell, "Gandalf! We must turn back!"

"No," Gandalf yells back, instead raising his staff and chanting into the wind. I look back to see Aleana looking to her father in despair and I know she felt helpless for she couldn't lend her powers.

Clouds flow in from all directions, converging on the mountain in a stormy maelstorm, Gandalf's words having no affect. Saruman's voice strengthens and a lighting bolt hits the mountainside above us. Legolas pulls Gandalf to safety while I shield Frodo and Sam as snow piles around us. Within moments, the pass is blocked and I move to help a shivering Frodo and Sam out of the snow.

I look back to see Aleana huddled over Merry and Pippin, protecting them, while Boromir had embraced Aleana to protect her. Once again a jealous feeling washes over me and I silently curse to myself, knowing her and the hobbits safety was more important than who saved them.

Boromir looks up to meet my eyes as Aleana helps Merry and Pippin.

"We must get off the mountain," he screams urgently, "make for the Gap of Rohan and take the West road to my city!"

"The Gap of Rohan takes us too close to Isengard," I yell back.

"We cannot pass over a mountain," Gimli says, "Let us go under it. Let us go through the Mines of Moria."

I look to Gandalf and see he has a concerned look on his face. Aleana is looking to him too in worry, trying to decipher what it was he was thinking. Then after a few seconds he turns to us and speaks.

"Let the Ring-bearer decide," all eyes turn to Frodo who looks unsure, the weight of the decision weighing heavily on him.

"Frodo," Gandalf asks and he meets Gandalf's eye.

"We will go through the mines," Frodo answers as confidently as he could.

"So be it," Gandalf nods slowly as we turn around and head down the mountain to the path leading to Moria.

A/n: A little short chapter compared to others, but I hoped you liked it. The next chapter will be quite action-packed, so look forward to it!

Comment and vote!

Thank you!