Chapter 13

***Aleana POV***

My eyes flicker open, and I squint against the sunlight. I could tell I was lying on something soft and warm. After a few more tries, I am able to open my eyes and I notice that I am in Rivendell, the room's decor telling enough. Slowly I try to get up and that's when I see Aragorn was there beside me. He rushes to my side, placing an arm behind my back and helping me to sit up. 

"Thank you," I whisper shyly and he smiles at me, before sitting down beside me and holding my hand in both his. 

"Frodo," I ask.

"He is alright, we got here in time."

"What happened to me?"

"I am not sure. Arwen came and took Frodo and we waited for you while waiting for the horses from here. When you didn't come back to the clearing I went to look. I found you unconscious on the forest floor and brought you back here immediately. Why did you not tell me you were hurt, that you were in pain?"

"At the time all I worried about was Frodo, I had to make sure he was okay before I could worry about myself. I promised father I would look after him."

"You must take better care of yourself Aleana, if you're hurt, you can't very tell take care of him," he takes one of his hands from mine, instead, cupping my cheek. I sigh into his touch, enjoying the warmth. 

"May I ask a question," he asks and I hum in response, my eyes closed, still relishing his touch. 

"Your arm, no one else saw, but-," my eye open in shock at his question, just as the door opens and he is unable to complete it. We both turn to see Lady Arwen standing in the doorway, her eyes on my cupped cheek and held hand. 

I immediately pull away while Aragorn stands, coughing awkwardly. Whatever Arwen was feeling, she did not let it surface as she smiled at me gently.

"Lady Aleana," she bows and I nod my head in respect, "how do you feel now?"

"Quite better Lady Arwen," I respond, "thank you."

"There is someone here to see you," she moves aside and in steps her father, Lord Elrond.

"Lord Elrond," I bow my head in respect and he moves towards me, lifting my head.

"You need not do that Aleana, you are like my child. How do you feel now?"

"I am alright, thank you for helping us." He smiles at me gently.

"There is someone else here who is anticipating meeting you, but for now I believe he is with Frodo," I look confused, wondering who it can be when I hear his voice in the doorway.

"I have already seen him, now I want to see my daughter," Lord Elrond moves out of the way and there stands father, a smile on his face as he looks to me. 

"Father," I exclaim happily, my face lighting up as I stumble out of bed and run the short distance to him. I throw my arms around his waist as his weave around me and he chuckles. 

"I haven't been gone too long my child, why do you worry so?" I move away to look up at him. 

"Because you make me. Why did you not come to the inn? We waited and waited. You were just gone and I felt as if you were hurt. If not worry, what else would I do? You are all I have left father, I will not be able to live if you left."

"I will not leave you child, I am right here. All will be made clear, but for now you need rest," he leads me back to bed, helping me under the covers.

"What about Lord Saruman," I ask as he tucks me in as if I was still a small child. 

"It seems we have lost a friend, evil has succumbed his mind," fathers says grimly and I feel his ache of loss of a friend. He leans down, placing a kiss on my forehead before pulling away.

"Rest now Aleana," Lord Elrond speaks up, "we are awaiting the arrival of others. Come morning, I will send Lord Aragorn to fetch you."

"To fetch me," I ask.

"There is going to be a council regarding the ring, and I wish for you to be present there tomorrow." 

I nod, a yawn escaping my lips and they laugh. My eyelids droop and the last thing I remember is a light kiss on my hand before falling to sleep. 

***Aragorn POV***

I leave her side hesitantly, placing a small kiss on her hand, but not having an excuse to stay, I head out behind everyone else. The burned letters on her arm were still a question in my mind, but I had not told anyone else what I had seen. I was glad it was I who had healed her and not one of the other elves, for then everyone would have know what it was that I had seen.

I feel a hand encompass mine and I look to see Arwen smiling at me, before pulling me aside to a bridge secluded from watchful eyes. She stands before me, fair and radiant as always, but I am unable to feel for her what I did once. 

"Are you alright Aragorn?"

"Yes Lady Arwen."

"Lady Arwen? What happened to just calling me Arwen?"

"I am sorry."

"Do you remember what I told you when we first met?"

"You said you would bind yourself to me, and forsaking immortal life of your people."

"And to that I hold," she says, handing me the Evenstar that hung around her neck. I look down at it before cutting her off as she tried to speak again.

"You cannot give me this."

"It is mine to give to whom I will, like my heart," she leans forward to kiss me, but I stop her. She looks to me curiously, the smile falling from her lips.

"I cannot take this nor your heart," I whisper, afraid to speak any louder, "the years apart have shown me that perhaps our love is not as strong nor as true as we would like to believe."

"Is this because I was with another? Or is it Lady Aleana that has captured your heart and makes you speak such words?"

"Neither, it is my own heart that says so," I hand back the Evenstar, "I do not wish to hurt you and that is why we must part, for if I was to face the truth, our feelings are no longer the same Arwen, and I know you feel it too."

After a few seconds she smiles, placing her necklace around her neck once more.

"You are right Aragorn, I have felt the same, but I was afraid to hurt you. But now I see that if we were to stay together for the sake of the love we professed years ago, we will only end up hurting each other. I wish to keep our friendship and therefore I believe our decision is right."

She leans up, placing a gentle kiss on my cheek.

"I wish you all the luck in the world Aragorn, may you find love and happiness on your journey."

"I wish the same for you," I bow my head in respect, Arwen doing the same before turning around and leaving me standing there. As she walked away, I felt as if one of my many burdens had lifted from my heart. 

A/n: How did you guys like the breakup? I wanted to make it believable, and I think I managed that. What do you guys think?

Comment and vote!

Thank you!