Chapter 25

***Aleana POV***

The next morning I wake in Aragorn's arms. I sit up slowly as to not wake him for it was too early and we still had time before we had to leave. He had apparently brought me to his room last night and as I sit there beside him, I watch him sleep. He looked so peaceful, yet I knew that within his heart he was battling many emotions. Being the heir of Isildur put so much on him, for everyone that trusted him, there were an equal number of people who didn't. 

But I knew that the day would come where his past would come to face him and there was no doubt in my heart that he won't be able to get past it. He would do his forefather's proud, that I felt in my heart.

I get up from the bed and leave the room, walking out into the sunlight pouring through the golden leaves, creating a dazzling sight. My feet lead me to the chambers we had entered when we first came here. My back was to the staircase as I looked to the sky, enjoying the slight breeze that passed through. When I feel someone's presence behind me, I turn around and see mother coming down the stairs and stopping a few feet away. 

I bow my head in respect, still feeling bad that I had lashed out at her, knowing if father was here he would have been utterly disappointed at my behavior.

"You need not do that, you are my child and you don't bow to me. I do not deserve your respect after all that I have put you through."

"Everyone deserves respect," I answer, raising my eyes to meet her's, "and you deserve the utmost for not only are you my mother, but the Lady of Light as well."

"Your father truly taught you well," she chuckles slightly and I can't help the smile that finds it's way on my lips. 

"It puts my heart at ease knowing that you received the love you deserved as you grew, for Gandalf loved you more than I ever could. I know in some part of your heart you understand that if I had let you stay, you would never be happy here. I knew that if I truly loved you I would have to let you go, and know that it was the hardest decision for me. 

The love you found with Gandalf, the happiness and the clarity of life, you would have never gotten had I fought the world to keep you by my side. For our world, no matter how good, is also filled with contempt and it tends to linger in the hearts of all. I would not be able to rid them of it and you would have to suffer at their words and actions, and I could not have that for my child."

She walks up to me, taking my hands in her's and I look up at my mother, feeling tears spring to my eyes as she spoke. 

"But I also know that despite the kindness of your heart, there is still an emptiness left by me. An emptiness that will still take time to be forgiven, and I do not hold that against you."

She slides her hands out of mine and I feel something in them. I open my hands to see a dazzling necklace lying in my palm. The pendant was made of starlight, two leaves on either side as their vines twisted down to a point. A beautiful white opal sat at the center of it and it hung from a silver chain. I look up at mother in shock, not understanding why she was giving me something so beautiful.

"Your father gave me that, when he professed his love for me," she says, seeing the confusion in my eyes, "it is the only thing I have had to remember him by and know that I never have stopped loving him. He will always have a place in my heart and I know that for sure every time I gaze upon this timeless treasure."

"I cannot take this mother."

"I do not give it to you to keep forever my child, for I am selfish when it comes to that. For me it is my greatest treasure and I could never part with it. That is why I ask you give it back to me, but only when your heart has truly forgiven me. When that which is mine returns to me by your say, I will be able to forgive myself for not loving you enough, for not being your mother.

Also, I see that you have given your own necklace to Lord Aragorn. It is the ones we love the utmost do we give the light of Valinor to, and he may not entirely understand that, but I know you do.

My child, your love has yet to shape the lives of many and a voice deep inside tells me that you and your love will be the strength he will need to face his own past. I am truly proud of who you have become and I have your father to thank for that. For even in his departure, he has taught you what it is to be good, more so than I ever could."

I can't help the tears that fall from my eyes as she smiles lovingly down at me. Then with a bow of the head, she turns and walks up the stairs she had descended and I watch her leave. Once she has disappeared from sight, I wipe my tears, placing the necklace around my neck before heading to the other's to wake them.

...

Everyone had finally woken up and we had changed back into our travelling clothes. We stood as elves clasp elven cloaks around us, each clasped in the front with a leaf-brooch. 

"Never before have we clad strangers in the garb of our own people," Lord Celeborn addresses us, "may these cloaks help shield you from unfriendly eyes."

We nod our head in respect and thanks and the other's move to the boats, mother handing them gifts as they do so. I am about to walk to one when Lord Celeborn stops me with a hand on my shoulder. I turn to him.

"You may not yet understand why I turned you away those many years ago, but know it was not because I had any ill feelings for you or Gandalf. You both are dear to me, but had I taken you in that day, I wold have not been able to protect you from others as your father could. For all folk would have a lot to say about you, and I would have not been able to bear it to hear anything wrong about you child and thus as their leader I had to take a step I did not wish for, because I had to protect them from my wrath, and protect you from their cruelty. I hope one day you may forgive me for that."

"I believe deep in my heart I never held it against you Lord Celeborn, and thus there is nothing to forgive. Thank you for all you have done, for me and the others. Guren *glassui [thank you from my heart]."  

I bow my head in respect and he steps forward, placing a kiss atop it.

"Novaer [farewell]," he whispers and with one last smile he walks away towards Aragorn. I turn to find myself standing in front of mother and I cast my gaze up to her. She smiles down at me, her eyes filled with happiness yet sorrow. I can't help but smile back. Her hand hovers over where the pendant around my neck lay hidden below my clothing. 

"N'i lu tol, galu lellig [Till then, good luck my daughter]," she leans down, placing a kiss on my forehead and I feel tears slide down my cheeks. She pulls away, wiping away my tears, before nodding her head and walking towards Aragorn, speaking to him last. 

I watch her as she speaks to him and I realized that in my heart I had forgiven her many years ago, perhaps I had never even held her responsible for all that had passed. I loved her and it ached me, for in my heart I felt that this was the last time I would see her. 

"Come on lass," I turn to see Gimli holding his hand out to me to help me into the boat. I smile taking his hand as Legolas holds his hand out to me and I place my other in his. They help me onto the boat and I let go of their hands, turning around to face mother. She was still talking to Aragorn and I feel a deep pain in my heart, so I do what I know I must.

"Nana [mother],"  I call out to her and she looks to me, "gi melin [i love you]."

A huge smile breaks across her face as tears fill her eyes and I send a teary eyed smile right back to her. 

A/n: I really liked this chapter, it was very emotional don't you think? Also I changed her necklace to the light of Valinor, mostly because I wanted it to be known that it was truly a big deal when she gave Aragorn the necklace. Well, hope you liked it! 

Comment and vote!

Thank you!