Chapter Six

After their confessions and kisses in the courtyard, Alex could not hide her sleepiness for much longer. Even with the nap she had that afternoon it had not helped enough from the sleep she had missed last few nights, so as soon as Kieron caught her latest yawn he immediately escorted Alex to her chamber.

Within a few minutes of him leaving her and after saying their “good night”, Megan entered the room to state that Kieron had returned to the hall in search of her and had sent her up to help Alex to bed.

As soon as Alex was dressed in her night gown and crawled into bed, and while Megan put her lovely new gown away, the maid began to fill her lady in on all Kieron and she had missed in the Great Hall during their absence.

“Ye should have seen yer father’s face when Elliot fell over the chair in his drunken state. He must have been sneakin’ a little from everyone’s mugs as they were dancin’ cause the maids had been told no to give the two young brothers anythin’ to drink but mead.” Alex could not stop from joining Megan with her laughter...it must have been quite a scene. “Poor Sweet Evan had to carry his brother to their bedchamber so Kieron could stay and try to calm yer father. Ye know how yer father feels responsible to look after the young Lairds as his own when they are here, especially now so since they will be stayin’ on permanent bases.”

“Stayin’ on a permanent basis? Ye mean they are no just here for their yearly visit?” Alex asked in shock. It looks as if this night is just full of surprises.

Megan turned to look at her lady with a scowl on her face. “Well if ye listened and went to meet yer father for fast this mornin’ then he would have told ye himself. Obviously Kieron will be stayin’ for he is to become yer husband and our future Laird. As for his two younger brothers, they will be stayin’ as his First and Second Commanders to train the men. But no…ye had to be ye usual stubborn self and go to the courtyard instead of spendin’ time with him. Then ye were hurt and needed ye rest durin’ the noonin’ meal and he no had time to speak to ye at this evenin’ meal with the announcement and all.”

Meg was right. Alex had been stubborn a lot lately and seemed to be taking it out on her father. She just couldn’t stand it when they were alone together and his constant look of sadness and concern in his eyes when looking upon her. It was the same sadness they have held since the death of her mother and sister. And she knew his concern for me as if he was just waiting for her to break.

“I will start to join him for mornin’ fast again startin’ on the morrow,” Alex promised Meg. The maid gave her a smile and then quickly finished with straightening the chamber before heading off to her own for the night.

“Alex,” Kieron’s voice broke the silence. She turned to look at him and watched the tears that where falling from his eyes. He knew what was to come and was trying to save her from seeing it, but something deep inside Alex knew she needed to watch and remember.

Her head returned to the clearing just as the commander removed his sword from its sheath while the other three soldiers in his command held her mother down on her knees. As he raised his sword, her mother’s face turned to look directly at her youngest daughter’s. Though she knew no one could possibly see the four of them hiding in the tree, her mother somehow knew where they were. Their eyes met and held just as his sword came down onto her neck. Alex cried out but was not heard as Kieron quickly covered her mouth with one of his hands to silence her.

“KIERON! OH KIERON! NO!”

“Alex wake up. Alex, please wake love.” She heard his voice as she felt her body being shaken. Alex opened her pale green eyes to look straight into Kieron’s dark green ones.