Chapter Four

“Me Lady, ‘tis time to wake and ready for evenin’s meal,” Megan whispered to try and wake Alex slowly. The maid allowed her lady to sleep as long as possible since knowing she did not sleep well or very long due to her nightly dreams.

They had both agreed to keep their reoccurrences to themselves so Alex’s father would not know how bad they truly have gotten. She wanted him to believe that they were now so few and far in between that the aging Laird would no longer worry about his now only daughter.

When Alex finally rolled over, she immediately regretted the action as she had forgotten about the cut on her backside. It was not so much pain as it was a burning feeling, but she was the only one to blame for the injury. Rolling to the uninjured side and scooting backwards off of the bed to stand, Alex found Meg was already at her side to help her off the bed.

“Thank ye Meg,” Alex told her once she was completely standing on her own two feet. She had to walk slowly to the basin to avoid as little discomfort as possible so she could freshen her face before Meg started on her hair and dressing.

“Here me Lady, I’ve placed a soft pillow on the chair to make it easier for ye,” Megan stated as she directed Alex to sit down while working on her hair. “May I ask what happened between ye and Sir Kieron while I was tendin’ to his orders for a bath and the nursemaid?”

Alex stilled for a moment not realizing that she had given anything away when Meg and the others came into the room. “I do not know what ye are speakin’ about.”

“Oh me Lady, I saw the dreamy look that was held in each of yer eyes when I entered, and from the looks of it we were interruptin’ somethin.’’

Did I have that look? Better yet, did Kieron? Had he also enjoyed the kiss we shared? Would it have turned into something more if we hadn’t been interrupted? Without realizing it Alex started running her finger tips along her lips as she remembered how good they felt against his.

“Oh me Lady! He kissed ye didn’t he?” Alex decided there was no sense in denying it as the truth was right in front of her, so she simply nodded in answer.

“How was it?”

“Megan!” Alex screeched while turning to look at her maid, but between the pull of hair and the pain of the cut, she stopped herself and settled back down.

“Oh come now, we are of the same age and he is a very fine lookin’ man.”

“Twas…” Alex tried to think of a good enough word to use, “nice.”

“Nice! Oh me Lady, from the look in both yer eyes, it was more than simply nice.”

“Fine, ‘twas quite lovely. He was very gentle, at first, waitin’ to see how I would react or allow it. I assume once he felt he received a good response, he then pressed against mine harder, but no to hard to hurt me. Then ye all came comin’ back and we released one another.”

“Well, I'm done with yer hair, so let's get ye dressed, and down to the great hall before ye the Laird sends someone to get ye…or worse me.”

Alex had completely forgotten that while they had been talking Megan was still working on her hair, so she was a little surprised when the maid announced that it was completed. She did not have to look into the mirror to know how the maid had set it tonight due to the feel of long soft waves caressing along her back where it ended just above her injured backside. And since there was no hair falling in Alex’s eyes, which she hated more than anything, the top and sides had been pulled back. This would also help so they would not cause problems while eating. Alex stood to make her way towards the bed were Megan had laid out the clothes for the evening and immediately noticed the new emerald green dress that laid upon it.