Chapter Eleven

Quiet. That was the only word Alex could use to describe the wooded area they were now traveling through. It was still so early in the morning hours that even the forest animals where all asleep with only the occasional hoot of an owl in the distance or one of their mounts stepping on a twig or leaf on the ground broke the quietness.

Alex and Elliot had been like this since they left the keep in the middle of the night. She had meet him at the forest edge where he waited for her with three horses, their own two horses to ride and a third to carry supplies. This would also allow them to travel greater distances with needing less rest time for the horses by lessening the load each where to carry. Elliot was smart when it came to these types of discussions and it was yet another reason Keiron had made his brother one of his Commanders and Lead with the men’s training to make them good soldiers.

Keiron...it hurt Alex’s heart to think of him. What would he think when he woke to find her gone? Well, she knew what he would do. He would gather as many men as they could spare but still leave the keep safe and he would come after her. That was why Elliot and she had to leave in the middle of the night instead of the early morning as originally planned. They had to put as much distance between them and Keiron before that happened to allow them time to accomplish their goal before anyone could interfere. But how would he feel? Would he feel hurt or possibly betrayed by her sneaking away and not telling him of her plans?

She was a little hurt and felt slightly betrayed by Kerion herself by not showing or telling her about the message from her Uncle Ean. He knew how she felt about the English raiders, especially this select group of soldiers who called themselves The Black Knights. They were known for their brutality towards Scott men, women and children, no matter the age. Not only did they kill their many victims but tortured and even raped most before finally allowing them to die. And they were the ones who had killed Lady MacTavish, Ainsley and her own Mother that warm October afternoon seven years ago. They were the ones Alex had promised to her mother she would kill to avenge their deaths and who were lead by one who called himself Black Blade.  Soon he would feel her own sword’s blade go through his black heart just before his head is removed from his neck.

“What ye thinkin' about?” Elliot whispered to finally break the quiet between them. Alex turned her head towards him in surprise. “Yer face has been emotionless all mornin’, but now shows several all at once. ‘Tis do no have anythin’ to do with me older brother now does it?” He gave his signature devilish grin that Alex knew all too well. It was the same grin he gave the ladies when flirting and the same he gave to the men when he was either up to something or knew something they didn’t want him to know. But in her cause he was not flirting or was up to something, so he knew or in this case thought he knew what she was thinking.

“Alex?” he questioned again.

She looked away before responding with her own question. “What do ye think ye know, me dear little brother?”

“Well little sister, considerin’ that ye have been silent since we left and ye have been unsettled sittin’ in yer saddle the whole ride… I say ye and me brother shared a little more last night then ye planned to after his arrival at yer bedchamber and now worried bout what he will be thinkin’ when he wakes in yer bed all alone and learns of us missin’.”

Alex did not like how Elliot said yer…that he was implying he knew what Kerion and her shared last night…AND that he was right on all accounts. She should have known there was nothing that would escape Elliot’s eye, but that did not mean she had to admit her was right to any of his claims.

Alex kept her head staring straight ahead when answering because she was afraid Elliot would see the lie in her eyes.

“For yer information I have been silent for the sake that we are no to be heard and followed until a safe distance away from the keep and outside any clan farms. As for bein’ unsettled, I am simply tired from not sleepin’ much due to yer brother’s visit to me chamber. I was hopin’ to eat me sup and then rest before meetin’ with ye but Kerion did no allow me that time. So little brother, does that answer ye question?”

“Aye, ‘tis answers me question but no with the whole truth.” And with that Elliot allowed them to once again continue their journey with the quiet surroundings of the forest before everything was to come awake in the few short hours.

Elliot was starting to second guess his discussion, something he had never done before, but it was something he was doing now by allowing Alexandra to continue with him on this dangerous path of theirs. He knew how she felt when it came to the want and need for revenge against the Black Knights after what they had done to both their families…he too felt it…and they both knew the dangers they were going to face. However those dangers for Alexandra just doubled after last night and she didn’t even realize it.

Should he tell her? Was she even aware of what could have possibly taken root within her after what she and his brother had shared? The answers where most likely no since she had no mother or older sister anymore to tell her these things, and he was most certain that it was not a conversation her father would have had with her. He also knew by just being around her chambermaid Megan that she was still unknown to a man, especially since she has been after only one man the past several years. God he hoped his twin woke up soon before she caught the eye of another worthy man, but now was not the time to worry about Evan and his love life.

NO, he had to worry about Alex and keeping her safe from harm as well as the babe she may possibly be carrying. After all, it would be his niece or nephew, and as he had sworn to protect his brothers and Alexandra, he had also sworn to protect any of the children they produced. He just hoped that Kerion or Evan found the message from Alexandra’s Uncle he had left in his room and realized where they were heading before it was too late.

Elliot had to give her some credit though. He could see how uncomfortable Alexandra was from it, especially since it was her first time, but she was continuing on without a word of complaint. And once again she had gained more of his respect…something that very few women could do.

AUTHOR'S NOTES: I apologize that it is so short, but I wanted to get it out so I could start on the more exciting chapters to come sooner rather than later. I promise you will not be disappointed and will be thankful for this short chapter that is helping to set up what is coming. ~ Thank You AJ Skinner