Chapter Five

Kieron grew a nervous as he witnessed the shocked look in Alex’s eyes and felt the continued stillness of her body after her father’s announcement. But he just continued to hold her right hand securely in his left while shaking and accepting the many well wishes the couple were both receiving from her many clansmen and women. Finally after what felt like hours, everyone settled back to their seats and began to drink, eat and be merry as they continued the celebration. Kieron once again turned to look at Alex and noticed there was still no change in her appearance.

“Laird Stewart, I hope it would no offend if I was to take Lady Alexandra for a walk, and fresh air in the courtyard, so we may discuss our upcoming weddin’?” Kieron asked as he stood while still holding Alex’s hand, and bringing his other up to lightly run his knuckles over the side of her face. He was relieved that this finally caused her eyes to blink, and brought her back to the present.

“By all means, as ye have much to discuss. But I must remind ye that yer no married yet and may only stay within lighted areas,” Laird Stewart responded with some amusement in his voice.

Just then Alex turned to give her father an appalled look. “Father! Kieron is one of the most honorable men I have ever known and would never do anythin’ that would question that honor.”

Kieron could not hide the smile that came to his face nor stop the increase beating of his heart that her statement had caused. She not only stood up to her father on Kieron’s behalf and believed so highly of him, but also used only his given name with no “Sir” as he had asked her to do so many times before.

“Me daughter, I was no questionin’ Sir Kieron’s honor, but simply teasin’ him a bit. Am I no allowed to do that to me future son-in-law?” her father asked her before directing his attention back to the man himself. “I believe a walk in the courtyard and some fresh air will do the lass some good.”

With that said Kieron gently tugged on Alex’s hand and began to lead her towards the Great Hall door that would open to the outside.

As soon as they stepped out into the yard the cool night air ran across Kieron’s face and allowed him to breathe easier again. He also felt Alex’s body give off a small shiver and quickly lead her over to a bench to sit while wrapping his arms around her shoulders to give her some of his warmth, but noticed that this only caused her body to shiver more.

“Are ye cold Alexandra? If so we can return inside the hall if ye wish?” Kieron asked placing his chin on top of her head pulling her closer while still trying to warm her.

“Nay, I am fine.”

“But ye are shiverin’ in my arms?”

“’Tis not the cold causin’ me to shiver nor do I wish to return inside just yet.”

Pulling away just enough to look at down at her, Kieron saw a slight pinkness to her face. That was when he realized that it really was not the cold but their closeness causing her body to give off such a reaction. He instantly released his hold on her body, but captured her hands in his own. They stayed silent for a few moments while allowing her body to recover, and then Kieron placed his finger under her chin to allow him a full view of her lovely face again.

“Alex, are ye upset with me?” Her eyes now widened in surprise at Kieron’s question.

“Upset? Why would I be upset with ye?”

“Cause I did no speak or ask ye how ye felt about us before yer father announced our engagement this evenin’,” he dropped his hand from her chin and then looked down at their now entwined fingers. “I wanted to before, but…”

Now it was Alex’s finger that was placed under Kieron’s chin bringing his face to meet hers once again. “Kieron, I have a small confession to make,” he held his breath scared to think of what she was going to tell him. Did she only see me as a friend or brother? Did she love another? “I have known about the marriage contract for a long while now.”