Chapter Seven

Kieron was making his way across the courtyard towards the stables after leaving Alex’s bedchamber. He had been going up to escort her to break their fast together this morning, but then as he neared her door he heard her screaming out in her sleep. It was just as her father had told him; she was still having nightmares from the fateful day so many years ago. As soon as he opened the door he was temporally shaken not only by her screams but also from watching her entire body moving around the bed so violently that he immediately rushed over to try and calm her down being afraid she may hurt herself without realizing it.

Then once she calmed and had kissed him…Kieron found himself running his fingers over his lip as he recalled how wonderful the kiss felt, how warm her body pressed up against his felt…and what did he do? He had to ruin the moment by making the demand that she was to no longer practice with the men in the courtyard. But he had not meant for it to come out that way. He wanted to talk to her, to show her reason why it was not safe, and that if she still wished to practice she would do so with him or one of his brothers. It could not go unnoticed, even by himself that she was very skilled and he wanted to tell her…but he never got the chance.

What he needed right now was to go for a ride to clear his head after his argument with her. They had never argued before let alone yelled at one another, not even as kids and it was truly weighting heavy on Kieron’s heart. He also had to admit to himself that it was also quite a turn on. God he needed to get away for a while and calm both his nerves and his body. It had taken everything in him not to toss her on that bed and have his way with her right then and there. Kieron had always been in control of himself, but Alex had found a way to change that.

So deep in thought Kieron did not hear his two younger brothers calling his name and was reaching for his sword when someone had grabbed his shoulders turning him around. Thankfully he noticed who or in this case both whom’ before any damage was done.

“Kieron, did you no hear us callin’?” Elliot asked as he released his hands from his older brother’s shoulders.

Kieron simply shook his head still trying to clear his thoughts and bring him to the present so he could speak with his brothers. But before he could it was his youngest brother’s words that reminded him of the reason why he did not hear them.

“Kieron are ye no alright? Is somethin’ wrong with Alexandra? We saw you comin’ from her tower.”

Running his hands through his dark brown hair and down his face, Kieron looked at his brothers. “Nay, I am no alright and neither is Alexandra. We had a disagreement and ‘tis no sittin’ right with me.”

“A disagreement? But ye two have never…” Again Evan’s words brought Kieron’s troubled thoughts back.

Running fingers roughly through his hair almost pulling it from his head he looked up again to address his brothers. “Nay, we do not and never have before and that is why I need leave the keep and ride for awhile to clear me head.”

“Well then we shall join ye,” Elliot immediately responded placing his hand on his older brother’s shoulder to show his support. Elliot was not one to hug or show his feelings too often, so Kieron was thankful for the gesture.

The three brothers headed towards the stables to collect their mounts and head out. Kieron left word with Laird Stewart’s Commander that they would be scouting for land to use for the new training grounds that had been discussed last night after Kieron had returned to the great hall when he left Alex in her bedchamber. It would be needed since all of the soldiers, that now included both MacTavish & Stewart men, could no longer fit within the courtyard. Kieron also secretly hoped that by moving them out of the courtyard, it would no longer tempt Alex from joining in with the men and she would agree to spar only with himself and brothers.

After ridding hard for what felt like hours, Kieron finally slowed down his mount to a stop and looked out over the flat valley sitting below the hill they where currently resting on. He dismounted while looking towards the castle and then over to his two brothers as they each smiled. Well Elliot’s was more of a grin but the brothers knew that was the closest to a smile you would get from him. And Kieron knew they had found exactly what they were looking for. The area was large, flat and hidden from view to any prying eyes. There was a wooded area to the left to allow the men to rest in the shade and a good size pond to the right for needed water. It was also far enough away that those in the village and surrounding farms would not hear the men training, but was still close enough that if any danger was to arise they could easily return to the keep.

“I believe we shall set up here.”

“Aye, there is no better spot that serves all our needs,” Elliot agreed with Kieron as both brothers dismounted as well. They walked down the hill to have a closer look giving their horses a much needed rest and water after such a hard ride.

Once settled Evan, who had not spoken since leaving the keep turned towards his older brother with concern. “Now tell us what happened between Alexandra and ye earlier?”

Kieron dropped to the soft ground not so gracefully and began pulling at the grass. “I went to collect Alex to escort her down to break fast together. But as I approached her chamber I could hear her screamin’.”

“Screamin’?” Elliot asked as he hand immediately went to the tilt of his sword. He was as protective of Alex as Kieron was and he was thankfully to have such loyalty. He knew his wife and any of their children would always be safe even if he was not around.

“Aye, she was screamin’ but ‘tis not what you are thinkin’ Elliot. Ye see, Laird Stewart told me that Alex still suffers from nightmares of that day in the clearin’.” Elliot relaxed and removed his hand from his sword but both brothers now held a similar concerned look. Alexandra has been like a sister to them since they were little and soon would be just that once she and Kieron married. They have both loved and cared for her and neither wanted to see her sad or hurt.

“So I went into wake her and hoped to calm her down. I did that and then we started kissin’ and…”

“NAY!” Evan shouted as he jumped to his feet covering his ears. “I will no hear what ye did together.”

“Evan,” Kieron called him but he did not stop and was still covering his ears. “EVAN,” he shouted louder and finally regained his youngest brother’s attention. “Nothin’ happened more than the kiss. But that is cause I started making demands of her and she became angry with me.”

Evan returned to his previous location on the ground and stared at his brother. “What did ye do? What kind of demands?”

“I may have demanded and told her that she was no longer allowed to practice with the men in the courtyard.”

“Ye what?” Both brothers stated together in disbelief.

“Aye, I did. I was goin’ to explain and show her reasons why it was no safe for her to continue, but if she still wished to do so that she would only with me or one of ye. However before I had the chance to full explain things she became so angry that she was no longer listenin’ to anything I was sayin’ to her and through me out of her chamber.”

The three brothers became silent as they sat together thinking on what was said and had happened. This was not going to be easy to solve as they all knew how stubborn both Alex and Kieron could be, but it was clearing hurting Kieron with what happened and they all knew if it was hurting him it was definitely hurting Alexandra. Everyone could see how much the two of them loved each other even if it had taken the announcement of their engagement for the two of them to see it.

It was Evan to break the silence.“And that is when we found ye in the courtyard right after?”

“Aye...now what do I do? She will no even talk to me and need to make this right again between us before I go mad.”

“Let me speak with Alexandra?” Evan offered. “I will explain that ye where no demandin’ her to stop her practicin’ and she needs to gave you a chance to finish your explanation.”

“And if she will no listen to Evan then I will gag and tie her up so ye can,” Elliot added followed by all three brothers laughing at the image he had just given them. They also knew he was not joking.