Chapter One

Seven Years Later...

“Alexandra, I want ye to go with the boys and hide in the woods. Ye must stay hidden until I come and listen to Kieron’s every word.”

“But Mother…”

“Please do as I ask daughter,” as she hugged me and then whispered “I love ye”.

“I love ye too Mother and I always will,” I whispered back in my sleep as I watched myself be led away by Kieron towards the wood with his two younger brothers.

Then the thundering sound of hooves breaking into the clearing caused me to turn and run back towards my mother and sister, but three set of stronger hands held me pulling me back into the woods. I tried desperately to break their hold but it was useless.

So I hid - hid like a coward and just watched as the soldiers took my older sister and Lady Margaret away to rape and kill them.

Then as their Commander lifted his sword, my mother turned her face towards me. Our eyes locked for a moment making me silently promise to avenge her and then the sword was brought down on her. I screamed “MOTHER! MOTHER!”, but no one heard me due to the hand being held over my mouth.

“Alexandra,” I heard my name being called, as my body was shaken. “Alexandra wake up, ye havin’ another bad dream.” Those words caused me to open my eyes and sit straight up in my bed to find the concern look on my chambermaids face, Megan.

“I am sorry Meg, twas another dream,” I apologized to her.

“Well at least ye no break or hit anyone tryin’ to wake ye up this time,” Meg stated as she turned to pull the basin with water for me to wash.

I climb from bed and walked over to clean my face and ready myself for the day ahead.

“Yer father be wantin’ to break fast together this morn so he can speak with ye.”

I stopped dead as I looked over at Megan. I could tell she was trying to avoid me as she laid out a clean gown and chemise for me to dress in. She knew what my father wanted but was hoping I would not ask.

“Oh, well ye can tell me father that I have trainin’ this morn and he can come speak to me there if he wishes, but I’ve no time to sit and speak with him.”

“Alex,” Megan turned to plead that I just do as I was told, but she should know by now how I am when people, especially my father, tells me what to do.

Without another word I walked over to the back of my door to dress in the tunic and braies that where hanging there before braiding my hair to keep it off my face. I pulled my boots on last before leaving my chamber and headed towards the court yard.

**********

Just as I lifted my hand to knock on the door her screams came from the other side.

“Mother! Mother!” she began to yell causing me to immediately reach for the handle of the door, but then another feminine voice pleading for her to wake rang overtop and her screams came to a stop.

Alex, me sweet little girl, yer nightmares from that fateful day still haunt ye after all the years. But promise to ye all of that will change for the better today.

Turning away from the door, I continued my way toward the great hall to wait for Alexandra to join me in break our fasts together so I could inform her of our impending guests. Today Sir Kieron MacTavish and his two younger brothers, Evan and Elliot, where due to arrive for their yearly visit, but this time it was more than just a simple visit - this time the three where here to stay.

Once seated at the table several servants made their way in with trays of bread, cheeses and pastries. Then a mug of mead was set in front of me and then one where Alexandra would be seated.

“Thank ye,” I said to the servants before they returned to the kitchens.

The sweet scent of fruit from the filled pastries was making my mouth water, but I would wait until my daughter arrived. The sounds of doors opening caused me to look up but it was not who I was expecting. Three men entered the room and I quickly rose to meet them in the middle.

“Kieron, Evan, Elliot, what a surprise. We were not expectin’ ye until the midday meal,” I stated greeting the three young lads just as I reached out to shake Kieron’s hand.

“Aye, well, someone be wantin’ to get here as soon as possible,” Evan explained looking at the back of his older brother head.

“So we rode practically thru the night to arrive this morn,” Elliot finished as the two smiled.

Kieron released my hand and stepped back so his brothers could greet me as well. Just as they stepped up I heard a smacking sound and then, “Ow” and “Whatcha do that for”. Then I noticed each twin with one hand extended to shake as their other hand was rubbing the back of their heads while Kieron smiled innocently the entire time. After shaking each hand I turned back towards the table.

“Please come and sit. Ye must be tired and hungry from the journey. I will be but a moment so more mead can be brought out.” I quickly entered the kitchen requesting three more mugs and then returned to the hall just as the door at the other end opened again, but again it was not who I was expecting. But then again I should not be surprised as to who had just entered as it was the same person every morning.

“Good mornin’ me Laird and Sirs,” Megan greeted the four of us.

“Meg, where’s me daughter?” I asked but already knowing the answer as the girl would not lift her head to look at me.

“I am sorry me Laird, but Lady Alexandra will not be joinin’ ye this morn to break fast as she has already headed down to the court yard,” but the girl was not done “Me Lady stated that if ye wish to speak with her ye may come down there.”

I sat in my chair while lowering my shaking head as she spoke not waiting to look at my guests and their reaction to my daughter’s defiance against me.

“Very well Meg. I will deal with her later, but please tell me daughter that she is expected at this even’ meal and dressed to greet our guests at that time. And she best not make us wait.”

“Yes me Laird. I will personally deliver her meself if I have to.”

“Laird Stewart, may I have a word with Megan but for a moment,” Kieron asked me stopping Megan’s retreat. I gave a nod to them both and watched as the lad spoke to Alex’s maid while giving her a large package. It was clear to me that Kieron had once again brought my daughter a gift, as he always did when he and his brother’s visited. But what could be so big I wondered. Oh well, I guess I will have to wait as everyone else will to see what it is tonight.

With the sound of the door closing and Kieron returning to the table, I released a long sigh before looking up and speaking to my guests. “Well, now that we are no waitin’ for anyone else, we can eat,” I stated as I took several pieces of food on my plate before passing a tray to Kieron who was seated to my left with his two brothers next to him as they always where.

“Laird, may I ask what Alexandra is doin’ in the court yard?” Kieron asked as he too started to fill his plate.

Just then loud shouts came into the hall from the open windows. The three lads rushed over to see what had happened as I covered my face with my two hands.