Chapter Nine

Author’s Note: I decided to add a little of Evan & Elliot’s POVs to the story since it will be needed a little later in the story anyway, so why not start now. Hope you enjoy it ~ AJ Skinner

EVAN’S POV

“Why will she no allow me to speak and apologize to her,” Kieron bellowed to Evan once they entered the Great Hall after finding it empty so they could talk privately. “She is no givin’ me a chance to make this right and ’tis drivin’ me crazy.”

Evan released a low sigh. He knew his brother was upset and hurting by this…and so was Alexandra. They both needed to talk and clear things up but at the same time knew they both needed time to calm down before any more hurtful words could be said. He had already tried talking to Alexandra himself but it was not up to him to explain things to her…that was Kieron’s job… but not at this moment. Time was still needed.

Placing his hand on his older brother shoulder to stop his pacing, Evan addressed him and the situation he was in. “Kieron, all will be well. Ye just need to give her sometime and then she will be ready to hear clearly what ye meant and she will forgive ye.” Then he pushed his brother arm towards the two chairs placed in front of one of the two hearths in the hall to make Kieron sit and try to relax.

He watched as Kieron sat on the edge of the chair placing his elbows on his knees while his face hung down towards the floor. Evan could recall only one other time he had seen his older brother so clearly upset…that day so many years ago that had changed all of their lives. Evan may have lost his beloved Mother but he still had his Father and three brothers…Alexandra had lost not only her only sibling in her older sister, but had watched her Mother actually being killed. The four boys were never told how their Mother was killed, though he could certainly figure it out if he wished to or ask his Father now that he was older, but he did not want to know.

That was why this misunderstanding between Alexandra and his brother bothered him so. They were both wasting precious time they could be spending together. It was with that thought that Evan realized that Elliot had still not returned from Alexandra’s chamber.

His twin had stormed off when Evan returned and inform Kieron that she did not wish to see him and Elliot decided enough was enough. But obviously he was having as much luck as he had in getting her to budge. She could be very stubborn, they all could but they all loved her the same – well maybe not the same as Kieron did – but love her they all did in their own way.

A knock pulled both brothers’ from their thoughts as Alexandra’s maid, Megan made her presence known. Evan could not stop the smile from breaking on his lips. She was just beauty in his eyes.

“My apologies Sirs, but ye must get ready for the evenin’ sup. I have seen to havin’ bathes taken to ye rooms and fresh clothes laid out.”

“Thank ye Megan,” Kieron replied. “Tell me, will Lady Alexandra be joinin’ us this evenin’?”

Evan watched along with Kieron as her face lowered to the floor so she did not have to face him with her unpleasant announcement. “I’m sorry Sir, but Lady Alexandra wishes for me to bring the meal to her chamber.” He turned in time to see Kieron’s face fall even further as he let out a yet another sigh. Then as quickly as it came it was replaced with anger as he hit his knees and stood up abruptly.

“That is it! I can take this no more!” Kieron turned towards the obvious fightened maid. “Megan, ye are to tell Lady Alexandra that if she no joins all of us in the Great Hall for the evenin’ sup then I will be joinin’ her to eat in her chamber. ‘Tis her choice, but I will no eat without her present again. She is to be me lady-wife and will have all of her meals with me or she goes with no. Do ye understand me instructions Megan?”