xvii.

Taehyung woke up in Namjoon's bed. Sometime during the night, they'd flipped spots somehow, so now Namjoon was sleeping on the floor.

"TAETAE," Jungkook yelled, slamming the door open.

Namjoon groaned, stirring.

"Kookie?" Tae asked, confused. "What's wrong?"

Jungkook smiled. "Nothing. I just wanted to make sure you were still here."

Tae smiled back shyly. The people he'd once been so close with had been strangers for eight years, and even though he was supposed to fit back in like a lost puzzle piece, he'd changed and so had they, and it would take time for him to fit back in and complete the puzzle. "Yeah, I'm still here," he said quietly.

"Why am I on the floor?" Namjoon complained, rolling over. "My head hurts."

"Oh. Sorry...I'm not sure what happened," Tae apologized, but Jungkook laughed.

"I checked out you guys in the middle of the night. Tae crawled into Namjoon's bed and Namjoon just gave up and went to the floor."

"Oh, sorry Namjoon..." Tae said, scratching his head. "I didn't mean to-"

"It's fine," Namjoon said, smiling. "We'll get you a bed soon, promise."

"You mean I can stay here?" Tae asked, trying not to show how eager and hopeful he was.

"Actually, we can't fit any more people. Our producer called and said you had to leave," J-Hope said, popping his head in.

"O-oh..." Taehyung just deflated until J-Hope started laughing.

"I'M KIDDING, I'M KIDDING. OH MY GOSH DON'T BELIEVE ME!"

Namjoon rolled his eyes. "Of course you're staying here, Tae. Don't be ridiculous."

Tae smiled, relieved. "J-Hope don't tease me like that..."

J-Hope went over and ruffled his hair. "I have eight years of teasing to account for so get used to it fast." He grinned and Tae couldn't help but grin back.

"Fine..."

Namjoon checked his phone for the time. "Better get ready. Your appointment is in 2 hours."

Tae nodded and showered, borrowing Namjoon's soap and coming out in a towel. "Ummm...I don't have any clothes..." he said awkwardly. "I left everything at the house."

"Hang on, we should still be around the same size," Jungkook said, running off and returning with a full change of clothes for Tae.

"Thanks." He went back in the bathroom and changed.

Namjoon smiled. "Good as new. Ready to go?"

Tae nodded, and they left to get his divorce.

***

"Your wife - soon to be ex-wife - stopped by earlier to sign the papers," the judge said, sliding the legal documents and pen across the desk to Tae, who took a deep breath. "All you have to do is sign."

Tae nodded but just stared at the paper.

"What's wrong?" Namjoon asked gently. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah I just...divorce...I hate the idea in itself. I always heard the statistics and thought I wouldn't be a part of them. And...I know God doesn't appreciate these either, I just..."

"Tell me what's wrong," Namjoon coaxed.

Tae's eyes watered. "I just don't want God to hate me too."

"Oh, Tae..." Namjoon shook his head. "He doesn't. He won't. Okay? God loves you, I love you, Yoongi and Jin and Hobi and Chimchim and Kookie all love you too. And we all want you to be happy, so please please please sign your name on that paper. Okay?"

Tae hesitated before nodding and picking up the pen. He stared at the paper for a moment. Divorce...what an ugly work. It means quitter, giving up, losing. But...

(Name)'s face flashed into his mind. The feel of her hand in his. Her lips on his.

Tae took a deep breath. That was something (Name) was always telling him, too.

Take a deep breath, Taehyung. Relax. You're okay. Just calm down and breathe.

He signed his name.