Blaze × Ice || Don't Play With Fire

"Don't play with fire."

     That's a piece of advise parents love giving to their children. And it was given to me and my brothers too, most especially me because I was hydro- and cryokinetic. Blaze didn't really care about the warning though, because he was pyrokinetic. Flames would never hurt him, and his love for the way they seemed to dance with endless life never was extinguished.

     I for one followed it the most. . . because flames terrified me. They were destructive and scalding hot, and when they were so much as touched they burned those who dared venture near. So I stuck with the freezing cold of my snows, the relaxing rumble of my rivers, and the beautiful glint of light off my icicles. Flames would never get near, and fire would never touch me.

     So why exactly was I starting to long for it?

     I am Ice, as is obvious. I am supposed to be the, well, cold one out of us septuplets, as well as the relaxed one. But that I am most certainly not whenever I am around Blaze.

     We were never really the closest among the brothers — he preferred Thorn and Cyclone's company, and I was often with Earthquake. Simply because we contrasted, too. Should we touch, my water would douse his flames, and his fire would melt my ice. Flames licking at water are useless, because they will be put out; as is ice trying to cool fire, because it will succumb to the heat and melt. In other words, if Blaze and I were to ever come close, whether we wished it or not, we would hurt each other. We were victims of a forbidden tome.

     But stolen water is sweet, or in this case, the warmth of a flame I had never before felt was tempting. Before it registered in my head and before I could stop it, my heart had began to love the flames I could never touch. He who feared fire began to love he who loved it.

     And putting aside the fact that we are elemental manipulators, my feelings would still be forbidden. Even if my touches weren't glacier cold and his blazing hot, a love such as mine should never exist. For one, he is my brother. And whatever happens, my brother he will remain. I am to love him as family, not in the way one is to love a spouse.

     And he and I are both males. I am not to feel like this — dreaming of holding one like me in my arms as the world for once quiets is out of the question.

     But at the end of the day, heart must rule mind, and I loved him anyway.

"Ice!" Blaze yelled at me from afar, waving around a hand as he practically bounced from excitement. He wasn't wearing his cap, and in doing so showed the white highlight we all had in our hair, although most of us hid such a birthmark. Blaze was proud of his, however, in that sort of zealous energy only Blaze was capable of possessing.

     "What is it, Blaze?" I asked of him, hoping my flat tone didn't betray my forbidden admiration for him. Why again couldn't I play with fire? For that is all my heart wants to do now, much against the wishes of my more rational mind.

     A pout graced his beautiful crimson lips. "It's our first Valentine's Day Dance, Ice!! Why can't you be happier??? There are so many friends here, and don't you want to meet them all??? Maybe you'll find someone to treasure here!!! But of course I'll have to make sure that she's worthy. . ."

     He continued his spoken thread on how he would decide whether someone was worthy of me, but I heard none of his words. I knew that I had already found he who I wanted to treasure, and that he would never return the forbidden affection I felt.

     I attempted to turn my attention to something else and yet my eyes kept wandering to Blaze, who looked dashing in his formal attire. A dull orange and yellow coat was draped over a black undershirt, and black pants and shoes completed the attire. He was capless as we all were, and he could have outshined Vulcan himself — well, if he stopped jumping about.