Chpt 16 - The Friendzone

“I thought I’d find you here.” Scarlet says, joining Jason at the edge of the water.

“Oh… hi.” Jason replies.

“Are you okay?” Scarlet asks.

Jason continues to stare at the rising sun, “Yeah, fine… fine.”

Scarlet puts a hand on Jason’s shoulder, “Is there something you want to talk about?”

“Not really.” Jason answers.

“There’s something on your mind, Jason.” Scarlet responds, “I can tell.”

Jason sighs and looks at Scarlet, “I want to know more about what Adam was talking about.”

“What do you mean?” Scarlet asks.

“He said that you could do ‘cool stuff’… Whatever that means… and then you said that you’d teach me to control my powers. I don’t see how.”

“Oh.” Scarlet replies and stares at the sun over the horizon.

“Oh?” Jason asks, “Are you gonna explain or what?”

“There’s a secret I’ve been trying to keep from as many people as possible for quite some time.” Scarlet explains, “But I can’t keep this from you.” She stands up and holds her hands out, “You might want to step back.”

Jason gets up and takes a couple of steps back, wondering what Scarlet was going to do.

Scarlet closes her eyes and concentrates, she takes a deep breath and clenches her fists, “Don’t panic.” She whispers. Scarlet opens her eyes and slowly unclenches her hands and they start to glow in ablaze of fire.

“Woah.” Jason whispers and takes another step back.

Scarlet smiles and the flames fade, “That’s not the only thing.”

“Why? What else can you do?” Jason asks.

Scarlet kneels down by the water’s edge and holds an index finger out, she slowly touches the water and the surrounding area instantly turns to ice.

“Wow.” Jason exclaims.

Scarlet smiles, “I know, cool right?”

“How come you never told anybody?” Jason questions.

“I was afraid that people would call me a freak.” Scarlet answers, “I’ve always been worried about being dangerous.”

“How long have you had these powers?” Jason asks.

“I was born with them.” Scarlet responds.

Jason stares at the patch of ice, “But how come I’ve never…”

“Seen me?” Scarlet finishes for Jason, “I used to wear gloves… but now I’ve learnt to control the powers.”

Jason nods.

“That’s why I want to teach you, Jason. You’re in safe hands with me.” Scarlet says.

“Yeah but Herobrine’s powers aren’t the same as your powers.” Jason protests.

“I know that, but how different can they be?” Scarlet asks, “Let’s just see what you can do first, and we’ll work something out.”

                                                                   ***

“Jerome!” Azalea shouts at him as he leaves the house, “Jerome!”

He starts running and disappears. Azalea runs after him, “Jerome! Just wait a second! Come here!”