Chpt 1 - Could Be Wurst!

Something compels me to look up from my reading book. I look out of the school library’s window and see that girl walking past again. She’s up to something, I know it.

Sera’s her name. She one of the ‘popular’ girls. You know, she’s one of the girls who hangs around on the playground, near where all the boys play football (or soccer, but it doesn’t matter). She’s one of the girls who goes out with boys for two days and dumps them just to get attention. She’s one of the girls who spends all of her spare time on Facebook, posting her newest selfies.

That’s the definition of a popular girl. Well it is at my school anyway. It might be different at your school, but anyhow, there’s always a group of popular girls.

I stare out the window as I watch Sera walk by suspiciously. She’s supposed to be with her friends where popular girls belong, but no, she’s alone – what is she doing?

I am Aly. I am an ‘unpopular’ girl. An outcast, a nerd, a geek, whatever you wish to call me. The popular people act like I’m stupid, but I’m not. I know exactly what they get up to. Well I say that, but I don’t know what Sera’s up to. Recently she’s been… different; almost like she doesn’t want to be a cool girl anymore, almost like she has other priorities.

You don’t know what I mean by different? I mean different like… sometimes I hear her smirking in class at something’s the teacher said and she’ll look at me and my friends almost longing to join in with us. Okay, I’ll admit, that doesn’t seem too abnormal, but the fact that it always happens when me and my friends are talking about Team Crafted, or the teacher has said something that could be a Minecraft reference, that’s abnormal.

Unless… she’s a Team Crafted fan? A Sky Army recruit? No way, cool girls can’t like Team Crafted – or can they?

In case you haven’t guessed, me and my friends are Team Crafted fans, Sky Army recruits, whatever YouTuber, you name it. We’ve heard of them and we’re fans.

That’s normal for us because we’re all geeks, but normal for Sera and her friends? No. If Sera’s friends ever knew, she’d become an outcast like us. It’s stupid, I know, but it’s how school works.

I see Sera appear at the library door, she looks almost nervous. I wait for her to walk in, but she’s not going anywhere. She’s just peering round the room, discretely looking over at my friends.

“Can we help you?” I ask, Sera was getting on my nerves.

She looks at me with a panicky face, was she… scared of us?

“Err… umm… ah… no. Bye, sorry for bothering you.” She quickly backs out of the door and disappears.

“What was that all about?” May, one of my friends, asks me.

I shake my head, still staring in the direction Sera went, “No idea.” Of course, I’m lying, I do have an idea but it’s a crazy one.

“That fishy.” She mumbles.

The school bell rings abruptly and we all pick up our bags and sling them over our shoulders.

“What have we got next?” May asks.

“Umm…Geography?” I answer, not a hundred percent sure.

“Yeah, yeah… we do.” May reassures me.

I huff; last lesson is going to be a long one.

“Hey,” May nudges my shoulder, “could be worse.”

“It could be wurst!” I exclaim. My friends all laugh at my reference to Hetalia, an anime series.

                                                                   ***