[1]

Dan Howell could barely even pay attention to the monotonous droning of his science teacher, even when he tried. Dan resigned himself to his boredom, and put in his headphones to listen to music.

Dan sat there, in the back of the classroom, zoning out, for a good period of time. Then drama started to happen.

Dan's not a big fan of getting himself into drama, but he can't help but be terribly interested when it's happening to other people. He pulled out his headphones just in time to hear the science teacher say,

"Mr Lester, I am tired of your constant chattering. This is your second warning."

Oh, yes. Phil Lester. Dan knew him.

Phil was always the popular boy at school. Always surrounded by a group of friends in the hall, and always talking to them in every single class. Phil was popular, charismatic, and happy. Everything Dan was not. Dan had never even tried to talk to Phil. He didn't want to get humiliated.

Dan was about to put back in his headphones, when he noticed that Phil was continuing to talk to his friends. The teacher was about to have a serious throw down.

"Phil! What did I say!" The teacher said, practically fuming at the ears. "That's it! Detention tomorrow after school!"

"But, sir, I was telling them something very important!" Phil said.

"More important than the mitosis of cellular organelles?" The teacher said.

"Everything is more important than that." Dan muttered to himself.

Aside from being known as the emo who didn't have any friends, Dan was also known as the master of witty and sarcastic remarks. Since those remarks had a tendency to get him in trouble, Dan told the remarks quietly so only the people sitting directly around him could hear.

But this time he wasn't quiet enough.

"What was that, Dan?" The teacher asked.

"Nothing, sir." Dan said.

"No, no, really. Tell me what you said. Tell the whole class. I'm sure it's hilarious!" The teacher said.

"No thank you, sir." Dan said.

The teacher started to really lose his shit. "Fine then! For your insubordination you can join Mr Lester in detention tomorrow!"

Dan opened his mouth to defend himself, but decided against it. Literally anything he could say at this point would make it worse.

Dan glanced at Phil sitting across the room. Phil looked at him and mouthed 'detention buddies!'.

'No way in hell am I going to be detention buddies with Phil Lester!' Dan thought.