Chapter 2: The Same Old Feeling

A/N: I am terribly sorry about the OOCness 😫

-

"It's not like that." Shikamaru-kun responded, totally denying.

"Heh! Cut out the jokes. Why would I be on a date with this guy? It's almost time for Chunin exams. I've just been going back and forth between the Sand and the Leaf for meetings concerning the exams." Temari butted in.

Yeah, that's right. There's no way they're dating!

"And, although it's a pain...I've been put in charge of the exams. I've just been told to act as a guide for the Sand messenger." That, too. Ever since he was instructed to be a guide to Temari...

I looked down. He's getting farther from me. The more he hangs out with the Sand girl, the farther he goes and the lonelier I get.

The same old feeling...

But why does it hurt more than it should be? What is this feeling...? My body feels hot...

"Y/N." The voice of Shikamaru-kun echoed in my ears. "What are you doing, just standing there?"

I raised my head, only to get startled by him standing so close to me. "Woah! Shikamaru-kun--!" I stumbled backwards, and as clumsy as I can be, I lost my balance. "Aah!"

Shikamaru-kun grabbed my arm to stop me from falling. "What a pain."

Once I settled down, "S-sorry." I apologized. "I think I spaced out."

"Huh? How could you space out in this busy surrounding?" He questioned.

I awkwardly laughed, trying to come up with a lie. I just couldn't tell him that I'm thinking about the two of them possibly dating when they already said they weren't...

"I...I was just thinking a lot of things lately...and it distracted me, I guess." I awkwardly laughed again. "I, uhm, I'll go on ahead. I still have some things to do." I dismissed myself.

"Alright. Take care, Y/N." he smiled.

I could never get used to a smiling Shikamaru-kun

I could never get used to a smiling Shikamaru-kun. This resulted my cheeks getting red. "Y-you, too. Bye!"

I hurriedly walk away from them. Away from him.

Even though, he treats everyone the same, including me, I still somehow, felt special when I became friends with him. He was my first and only friend and now, he's disappearing from my side.

That smile he showed me? He probably showed that to Temari countless times. Probably more than he does to me.

Hah...what am I thinking? They're just starting to get close. There's no way he showed that to her more than he does to me.

But she's stronger and more useful than you.

That's right. She's stronger than me. She can actually help him rather than me, being just a burden to him in every mission I've taken with him.

I sighed as I carefully walked with fruits in a paper bag on my arms.

-

A few days have passed. Chunin exams has ended and Naruto was given yet another mission.

I was up early and when I took a peek from my window, I saw Shikamaru-kun walking out of the house.

'So unusual for him to be up so early...'

I went to take a quick shower and worn my ninja clothes. A long sleeves fishnet topped with a crop top and a three-fourths jacket together with a black short shorts and a fishnet that ends just below my left knee and another fishnet on my right leg.

I went downstairs and asked Yoshino-san, Shikamaru-kun's mother, "Yoshino-san, where's Shikamaru-kun headed to?" I sat on one of the chairs in the dining room as I waited for my breakfast to be served.

"He's about escort a friend to the gates of Konoha." She said and smiled as she gave me my breakfast. Bacon and egg, yum!

"I see..." It must have been Temari. He was given a mission to guide her anyway. I frowned.

"Are you worried?" Yoshino-san sat across me with a teasing smile.

This made me blushed. "A-ah, n-no way! It's just that...it's so unusual for Shikamaru-kun to be up so early." I denied.

She chuckled. "He'll be back soon." She patted my head as I ate my breakfast.

"I'm home." The voice of Shikamaru-kun echoed from the front door. "What's for breakfast, mom?"

"It's bacon and egg, Shikamaru-kun!" I answered for Yoshino-san.

He sighed. "Save me some later. I'll go back to sleep."

I frowned. "Oh yeah, Y/N, come with me after you've finished eating." I nodded.

What would he need me for?

I hurriedly ate my breakfast and went to his room. I knocked. "Come in." He said and I twisted the door knob.

I went in and closed the door. "What is it?" He was laying on his bed.

"Lady Tsunade told me that she wants to give you a mission." He quietly said.

"A mission? What for?" I asked. I wasn't really that highly recommended for missions because I always tend to ruin everything.

He sighed. "She'll tell you." He got up from his bed. "This may be troublesome but I have to be there with you. I'm responsible for your stay here anyway. Come on."

-

"As you know well, you are under surveillance of the Nara clan but since you came from outside the village, there is still a doubt that you are threat, Y/N, and part of the doubt is your past that has yet to be discovered." Lady Tsunade said. "And, to prove you are indeed not a threat, I will give you a mission."

I gulped. I have been living in Konoha for years and yet why would they only give me this special mission now?

"Shikamaru, gather Choji Akimichi and Ino Yamanaka for this mission." She ordered and Shikamaru-kun left immediately.

Once he was gone, "why now? If you don't mind me asking, Lady Tsunade?" I asked.

"Akatsuki's on the move and this is a chance to prove you're not a threat." She vaguely explained.

I looked down. So she meant, it's to test me if I would betray the village as being allies of Akatsuki, huh?

After a few minutes of silence in the Hokage's office, the three appeared. "Alright. I'll explain the mission." She put out a scroll. "This is to be delivered to Sunagakure."

------

Chapter 2! :) hope you enjoyed!

Reirin xx