Chapter Fifteen

SAGE.

Holy shit. After all this time away from him I thought I’d be immune to him, which was not the case. I was trying to hide the utter shock and slight happiness that he was here. Oliver was here and brought dinner over.

Another thought hit my mind. What if he wanted to take our daughter away and raise it with his wife? Over my dead body, that would never happen. I’d make sure to breastfeed for as long as possible with the excuse that she couldn’t be away from me.

I quickly, and shakily slid on a tank top and pulled it down over my stomach. I couldn’t believe this was happening. Now I understood what Tony’s text had been about.

I walked out and found him standing in the kitchen, leaning against the wall. Damn, he made something so simple and natural look gorgeous.

“Hi,” I said, trying to find my voice.

He straightened up and my insides slightly melted with the smile that lazily appeared over his face, walking towards me he stood just a foot away and stared at me. “Hi.”

My heart was going insane at being this close to him. I wasn’t getting my hopes up though, the last time he had done that he crushed them with an instant. I was still getting over that night. “You’re hungry yes? Because I am. I just need to reheat mine.”

“Sit, let me do that,” he said softly. Not making any intention to move at all though.

A smile crept further across my lips. “I’m sorry. I’m still trying to figure out if you’re real or a dream,” I laughed nervously. Maybe I was half asleep and dreaming this.

He chuckled, “I’m real, and you look good. Shit, no I mean, beautiful. You look beautiful.”

“So do you, well not beautiful but handsome and cute.”

“Cute?” he raised a brow, looking amused.

I nodded. “Yes, would you like a drink? I don’t have alcohol though.”

“Whatever you’re having is good,” he smiled and stepped aside as I walked to the fridge and grabbed the sarsaparilla. It was my craving and guilty pleasure, so delicious. He spoke again, “Your parent’s won’t come in will they?”

Shaking my head as I grabbed two glasses, “No they’re away for the week. Gone to see my pop who’s not doing too well.”

“Sorry,” he said softly, making his way around here. “You’re going to be alone?” he frowned, for a slight second. “I don’t know if I like that idea or not, when are you due?”

My breathing hitched at the mention of the birth. “Three weeks, I’m fine though.” He frowned, I couldn’t help but laugh, “Ollie, I’m good. I’ve been alone before and I can do it again.”

He seemed pained for a moment, his eyes blinking hard while he just nodded silently. He sighed and reached over, taking hold of the drink or so I thought. He instead took my hand and pulled me a little closer to him.

“Sage, I’m really sorry for leaving you,” I could hear the remorse and regret in his voice.

I kept my head down, I couldn’t make contact with his eyes. Not with these hormones right now. “It’s ok. I know I must have freaked you out somehow, it’s ok. I don’t blame you for leaving.”

“What? Sage, look at me,” his fingers brushed underneath my chin and tilted my head back. His eyes were thick with a film of water. “You didn’t do anything wrong, it was me. I can’t go into it but please trust me when I say, you didn’t scare me off. I wanted to stay, it was just too hard. I don’t want you to go through this alone. I want to know if you’d let me be in your life, in the baby’s life?”