Chapter Ten

SAGE.

“I’m going to miss you,” I smiled at Greyson, I then leant forwards and hugged him tightly for what felt like the fifth time.

He hugged me back just as tight, “I’m going to miss you too. You better hurry and join me so I’m not alone,” he pulled back and kissed my cheek softly.

I watched as he pulled out of the driveway and headed off down the road. I slumped against the doorway and checked my watch. I had another hour before I needed to make my way to the doctors, nerves were consuming me so bad right now.

It had been three days and I hadn’t seen Oliver, not that I wanted to. I was far too nervous, this was what I had been trying to avoid. The confirmation of my pregnancy.

“Dear, would you like some lunch?” I glanced over my shoulder to see mum there.

“Sure, what are you cooking?” I asked, following her into the large kitchen and peered over into the large metal saucepans on the stovetop.

Hurrying into the doctor’s room at the hospital, I was flustered and nervous. The room wasn’t very filled up completely, there was heavily pregnant women and a couple small children. I walked over to the receptionist and handed my health care card over. Smiling at her as she told me to take a seat.

I was early, good thing to. I didn’t want to be late. This way I could calm my nerves and work my way up to actually go through the white door in front of me. The room which would tell me what I needed to hear, to make myself believe it and not think it was all a false pregnancy.

“Sage Mathers, the doctor will see you now,” a woman called out.

Shit, this was happening way faster than I wanted. I shakily picked up my bag beside me and began to walk ahead to the door the young woman was holding open.

“Please, take a seat. The doctor will be in shortly,” she smiled cheerily.

“Thank-you,” I replied and sat to where her hand was leading.

All in all, I think I was coping quite well. Until I heard the loud thump, thump, thump. Then my heart rate picked up and I blinked furiously, staring at the monitor as Dr Carlson moved the stick over my stomach and pushed down. Damn my bladder was about to burst.

He tilted his glasses down over his large nostrils and squinted his eyes, a smile finally appearing. Pointing at the screen I could see a tiny blob, which resembled the size of an olive. It was tiny, “Yes, you’re most certainly pregnant. The fetus is nine weeks, and the heartbeat is sounding nice and healthy.”

Fetus? How technical, in my mind at that very moment. It was a baby. Mine. Oliver’s. Our baby.

I wiped my stomach with some rough paper towel and sat up. I couldn’t believe it, I wanted to throw up or go home and then throw up. Hitting me hard that I needed to tell someone, I couldn’t keep this a secret any longer.