Chapter Thirteen

SAGE.

“Dear you need to eat, for the baby’s sake if not your own,” mum said softly, stroking my cheek.

I shrugged, “I’m not very hungry mum.”

“I know, please come eat the soup. It’ll help,” she leant forwards and kissed my forehead.

She was wrong, nothing could help the pain I felt right now. The pain of feeling someone walking out of my life before it begun. I didn’t know what I did wrong, but every day I had played that scene over and over in my mind.

We were fine until I began to lift his shirt off and felt something warm and wet. I didn’t know why he was bleeding for, it wasn’t much but enough to worry me that I had scratched him too hard or something.

Mum was still looking at me, waiting for my answer. I sighed, “Ok. Just give me a minute.”

“Good girl, I’ll go get your bowl ready. Two slices of bread and butter with it?” she asked, looking more hopeful.

I just stared at her. “Don’t push it, I said yes to the soup.”

“Oh nonsense, who doesn’t eat bread and butter with soup, get up and I’ll meet you out there,” she smiled and closed my bedroom door.

I groaned and pulled the blankets off my body, my legs ached and feet were sore. Grabbing a tank top I slid it on and pulled it down over my very swollen stomach. I looked in the mirror as I re tied my hair up.

Memories of the day I told my father I was pregnant flashed through my mind...

“You’re what?” dad’s worried voice finally spoke, kissing the top of my head. All I could do was nod as I clung to him, sobbing harder. “Oh sweetheart, it’s ok. It’s all going to be ok, let’s get you home.”

The drive was silent but dad held my hand the whole time, even walking inside the house to tell mum, he never let me go. Mum knew something was up immediately, I couldn’t stop crying. I was so afraid to tell them.

“Mark, what happened to Sage?” mum asked dad.

“Well it looks as if we’re going to be grandparents, I was thinking Cass would give us that news but Sage bet her to it,” dad chuckled, hugging me into his side.

I sniffed when mum began to cry, “I’m sorry,” it was all I could say. I was sorry that I had gone and done this.

“Don’t cry baby girl, let’s get some hot tea boiling and sit down to talk,” she said softly, pulling me into her arms.

Nothing could get me to smile anymore, except for her. Her little kicks she gave me each day. I loved her already, with everything I had in me. She was going to be here soon and I was excited, but dreading it. Dreading it because then I was really going to be alone, a single parent.

I walked out to find mum sitting at the table waiting for me, she was my rock throughout this. I couldn’t get up and do anything if she hadn’t been here to help me. I was still in the house out the back of my parents, the second room or the room that Daniel had thrown up in was re painted and made into a little nursery. It was the other thing that made me smile, all the pink and purple was making this so much more real.

“You’re going to pop soon,” mum smiled.

I laughed a little, “I feel like it. I’m really uncomfortable right now, her foot is digging into my ribs.”

“Have you thought of any names?” she asked, taking a sip of her water.

“I can’t really decide, it’s so hard to pick just one.” That was a lie, I knew what I wanted to call my daughter. I was afraid, because if I called her that then everyone might know who the father was.