Not so different

Batman took out his injection gun to try to cure Roxy. Suddenly, her eyes shot open like a bullet. Her fingers started to move a little and she started laughing like mad. Batman injected her with the cure but listened to her words through all of the laughter.

"HA HA HA...She's got Annie...HA HA...Took my place." On that last note, she drifted slowly into unconsciousness.

"She will be alright once the anti-venom kicks in." Batman assured two guards who had approached the scene in hearing Roxy's maniacal laughter.

Doctor George hung back telling Batman that she would take care of Roxy. Batman nodded and ran out of Arkham to try and find Harley, Annie, Two-Face and possibly Ivy who had still not been sighted. The Dark Knight rode in his Bat-mobile to various locations as to where he thought Harley Quinn might be.

................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

"Geez it's dark in here." Annie told 'Roxy' and Two-Face. They had been led by 'Roxy' to a secret hideout down in the basement of a fun house. The basement was a large space although was accompanied by a dressing table and a single bed. Pretty lights dangled from the mirror which had "HA HA HA" written in red lettering all over it. A run-down bumper car was placed in the corner of the room. Models of fun fair rides were kept on the single bed.

"No kidding." Two-Face muttered still not happy with the arrangement and not noticing the mirror's words. Why a fun house of all places? They were a place for kids. Clowns even. On that thought, Two Face's eyes widened. "ANNIE RUN." He yelled startling the intern.

"What? Why?" Annie asked nervously. Too late. Harley took off her disguise and charged at them both with a hammer located under the dressing table. She tried to whack Two-Face but Annie pushed him out of the way. Falling to the ground she looked up to see the Clown Princess of Crime grinning at her.

"I knew you would fall for that whole disguise trick. You people always do." She laughed taking another swing at Two-Face's head. He dodged in the nick of time and wrestled with Harley whilst Annie reached the door. It was locked.

"Aww you looking for this kiddos?" Harley pointed to a chain around her neck which had the key attached to it. "GAHHH." She screamed as Two-Face tackled her to the floor pinning her arms down. "ANNIE GET THE KEY." He told her."

Annie rushed over and broke the key from the chain. "Come on Harvey. Let's get out of here." She put the key in the lock and tried to open the door. It still would not budge. "Harvey it's not opening." Not thinking, Two-Face let go of Harley's arms to help Annie. Hearing Harley's shrill laugh behind her, she turned. Two-Face was down on the ground out cold. Harley dropped her hammer. Half of her jester hat had fallen to one side revealing her blonde hair. Annie looked twice as nervous when Harley laughed as she approached her holding out her arms.

"I have missed you." She said stumbling a little and giggling.

"What have you done to him?" Annie gasped trying to wake up Two-Face.

"Bang bang." Harley made a gun movement and laughed hysterically. "Nah I am just kidding. He just took a whack." She pointed to her hammer then ran to the bed collapsing on it breaking half of the ride models. Her blue eyes shined with madness and were fixated on Annie.

"My Mr J got caught but at least I have you doc. You and me can hang out. Be my sidekick. I know you would love it."

Annie glanced coldly at her. "Your crazy. Like I would ever be your sidekick."

Harley took off her damaged jester hat and marched over to Annie looking as mad as ever. "You think you can just talk to me like that? I made you. Who got rid of that stupid observer? Who helped you stick up for yourself against your pitiful excuse of a dad. I was trying to do right. You think you can judge me for that?" She grabbed Annie and pushed her up against a wall. Annie tried to push her back but Harley pinned her arms to her sides. "I was there for you kiddo. I care about you. It's weird you know. I never thought I could care for someone who is so...well normal."

"Maybe I am not normal." Annie told her. "That is why you took a shine to me. After all, who is normal right? What would you define as normal?"

Harley gazed at her and let out a short chuckle. "Yeah. It just takes a little push."

"Oh you mean like this." Annie used all of her strength to push the clown girl away.

"Ooh you're tough. I admire that in a lady." Harley smiled.

Annie eyed Two-Face again making Harley impatient. "Geez he is fine Annie. We can hide out here until B-Man..."

"You know he will not give up. He will find you and send you back to Arkham. You need help Harley." Annie sat down next to her and speaking softly.

"Why? You want to be my doctor?" Harley smiled back noticing Annie becoming more relaxed. They both sat on the bed.

"These are cute." Annie held up the ride models. "Too bad you broke half of them." She chuckled.

"Heh...yeah." Harley picked up one of a clown figure. "Still afraid of clowns my dear?"

"Not anymore. Sometimes we hide ourselves. Our true selves from the world because we are different. Society does not accept those who are different. They pretend to but they do not really."

Harley tucked a strand of hair away from Annie's face. "You would make a good doctor. Don't let anybody tell you different. Ooh come here." Harley took some make-up from one of the drawers from the dressing table. She took out a lipstick and painted Annie's lips. Annie let her. Harley looked like she was having fun and doing no harm so what was the fuss. "Close your eyes kid." Annie did so and felt Harley mark her eyes with eye-liner and mascara. She felt Harley powder her face and draw two circles on her cheeks. After a couple of minutes, Harley squealed. "Ok done. Let me take you over to the mirror. Keep your eyes closed." Annie let Harley guide her to the mirror. "Ok and OPEN."

Opening her eyes, Annie gasped as she gazed at herself in the mirror. Harley had turned her into an innocent looking clown. She had circles coloured in red on her cheeks accompanied by red lipstick. Her green eyes stood out with the black mascara and eye-liner. However the rest of her face was powder white. Annie's long blonde hair had a little powder in it but she did not mind.

"I look funny." Annie giggled.

"Maybe we are not so different." Harley spoke in her Harleen voice and a tear made it's way down her face.

A knock at the door startled them both. "Annie? Are you alright?" Batman's voice came from outside the door. Both of the clown girls looked at each other.

"We have to help him." Annie nodded at Two-Face.

"I will make a deal with ya kid. If you can promise me something, I will make sure Two-Face does not come to any harm."

Annie rolled her eyes. "What is it? Help you escape? Hurt Batman?"

Harley smiled softly and whispered in Annie's ear. "Be my doctor at Arkham. That way I will be with Mr J and you."

Annie smiled hugging Harley. "Done."

Batman broke down the door and saw the two girls hugging. Harley grinned at him offering her hands. "Okay B-Man bring me back to jail." Batman raised his eyes staring at Annie who chuckled a little in knowing how silly she looked with a clown face.

"I am fine. Thanks Batman."

"And Two-Face?" Batman questioned seeing Two-Face's body on the floor.

Harley blew a raspberry but Annie looked at her making her stop. Harley took a deep breath and spoke to Batman. "Harvey Dent has made great progress under Annie's care."

"I know." Batman nodded. He turned to Annie. "I trust a few more sessions and the Wayne Foundation will fund his release from Arkham providing there is no trouble when he is released."

Annie gazed at Harvey. "He would be grateful." She planted a small kiss on his cheek and smiled at Harley who winked at her.

"We all better hurry. The police will be on their way. They will not be so lenient."

"Then why are you? Are you not supposed to be all menacing?" Annie piped up.

Batman watched as Harley went on a little. "I listened into your conversation. You have my word that you will be Harleen's new doctor at Arkham Asylum.

Hearing police sirens, they all ran out of the fun house. Batman carried Two-Face whilst Harley and Annie ran hand in hand. Grappling to the top of a nearby building, Batman watched with Harley, Annie and Two-Face as the police searched the fun house.

Harley put something in Annie's pocket. "A little something to use in our session." Annie nodded and they all made their back to Arkham.

"Gotta clean my face." Annie muttered to her.

"You better. They think you would have gone nuts too." Looking at each other, they laughed saying one word and rolling their eyes. "Society."

...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

"Judging from Dr Sharps's observations and records, I believe that Harvey Dent should be given an early release if good behaviour carries on in the new few sessions." Bruce Wayne stood up at the Asylum Committee meeting.

"Dr Sharp. Do you agree?" One committee member asked.

Annie stood up. "Yes. I have also another request. Starting from now, I would like to be Harleen Quinzel's personal therapist here at Arkham."

One of the members rolled his eyes. The rest discussed it amongst themselves. To this, Bruce Wayne stood up.

"In light of what has happened, I believe Dr Sharp should be given a chance at this. After all it was Harleen who supported her through her first experiences. If any harm is to come by it and I doubt there will then I agree."

One friendly - looking committee member smiled at Annie. "Your requests are granted Dr Sharp."

Annie jumped up and down. She could not help it. "YES." She cheered. She had two cells to visit. The first being Two-Face. Upon leaving the room, she did not notice Bruce Wayne's kind smile as he watched the joy on her face.

Hearing the news, Harvey smiled and threw his coin on the floor, ignoring it. Kissing Annie lightly, his eyes welled with tears.

"You have no idea what this means to me. Thank you so much Annie." Annie kissed his forehead gently then made her way to the second person she had to see.

"Guess who is your new doctor?" She laughed entering Harley's cell.

Harley's eyes widened. "It's you, isn't it? Oh Annie." She embraced her in a hug. Remembering something, Annie took out the object Harley put in her pocket. It was the clown figurine.

"We are not so different." Harley reminded her.

Annie nodded. "No we are not."

Bruce shook hands with the committee members and walked out of the Asylum. The last thing he heard was Harley and Annie's laughter echoing throughout the Asylum.

That's it guys. Thanks for reading The Intern.