Deceit

The Joker was marched off back to Arkham Asylum. He laughed all the way with Batman keeping a close watch on the nearest tower.

"I wonder where Harley girl is?" The Joker asked a dumb looking guard who shrugged. "No? You wouldn't would you? I will be out of here in a jiffy. You hear that Bats wherever you are? A JIFFY." The Joker laughed until the main door closed and Batman could see no more of his enemy.

Batman made his way to the Batmobile which was parked on the outskirts of Arkham. He noticed a couple of thugs glancing at it and approached them slowly.

"Hey dude look. It's the Bat freak." One thug muttered to the other. "Let's scarper." They both ran off leaving Batman to enter his car and communicate with his butler on the bat computer.

"Alfred." Batman addressed him.

Alfred appeared on screen and maintained his serious attitude. "Master Bruce. Any luck?"

"Joker has been captured and taken back to his rightful place." Batman confirmed. "I have heard that Harley Quinn is also back at Arkham. I will be heading back to the manor now."

"Righto Master Bruce. See you soon. Alfred out." Batman smiled.

"He stole my line." He muttered. Even Bruce Wayne enjoyed a joke now and then although he would never let the criminals know that. Batman had to be as menacing as possible. After all, being a criminal and committing chaos was no funny matter. Heading home, he felt content but the night was young. Batman planned his night - have dinner then head to the Batcave to do some detective work on the bat computer.

................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

"Are you feeling okay Annie?" Two-Face asked. 'What a stupid question.' He thought. 'She has just lost her father.'

Annie kept silent in the back. She did not feel much like talking. Her father was a domineering man but that still did not mean that she wanted anything bad happening to him. Hearing Roxy mumble a familiar tune in the front made her feet dance to the movement. It distracted her from all of the bad thoughts. It actually sounded...funny. Roxy kept her eyes on the road but spoke.

"So shall we go somewhere fun? I need a thrill. What about the fun fair?"

Two-Face rolled his eyes. Annie did not feel in the mood but agreed as she knew how thrill-seeking Roxy was. Roxy stopped back at a traffic light and looked back at Annie.

"I am really sorry about your dad."

Annie nodded. "It's okay. I don't really feel much like the fair though."

"Well truth be told. I actually have a secret hideout there so I thought we could spend the night. That is if it is okay with you of course?"

"Sure." Annie nodded trying to smile.

"That's the spirit." Roxy said brightly and continued driving.

Ten minutes later, Annie heard fairground music. Peering outside the car window, she noticed bright fairy lights glittering nearby. She saw a mixture of rides from the carousel to the big wheel.

"Wow." She gazed at the spectacular scene in front of her making Roxy smile.

"Let's go into the fun house." Roxy suggested pointing to a small house with a clown face painted on it spinning round and round. Annie paused. It reminded her of the Joker and Harley. Roxy saw Annie holding back.

"Are you okay?" She called back looking concerned.

"Yes. I am sorry. Not my kind of thing. Where's your hideout?"

Two-Face got out of the car and looked around. "Looks cheap." Even he could not admit the fair did look pretty. He looked up at the big wheel and had a vision of him and Annie sitting in it.

"Like that would ever happen." He muttered. Nobody heard him.

"Come on guys. This way." Roxy pointed to the fun house. "The hideout is in the basement of the fun house."

"We don't have to go through this stupid thing do we?" Two-Face growled.

Roxy blinked and smiled at him sweetly which made him feel weird. He knew Annie did not feel comfortable. Walking over to her, he nodded and held out his hand. Annie took it gently and together they made their way inside the fun house.

............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

"I must say Master Bruce you are hungry tonight. May I interest you in a jam tart for dessert?"

Bruce wiped his mouth with a napkin. "Yes thank you Alfred. Come and sit with me will you? A dinner is supposed to be sociable after all."

Alfred took a chair and sat down. "You seem to be out most of the time now. Being sociable is not part of your job description."

Bruce huffed in reply. "I am trying Alfred."

"I know you are sir." Alfred then went to retrieve the already made jam tart for Bruce. After all if he did not want it, Alfred would. Bruce smiled when he saw Alfred looking at it hopefully when bringing it in. As soon as Alfred set the plate down, Bruce started cutting the jam tart in half.

"Here Alfred. Let's enjoy this together." Not only was Alfred Bruce's butler but his confidant, a friend who he needed in the most desperate times. Spending more time with him was an enjoyment. Bruce knew he needed some sort of thrill and excitement in his life.

"Wait." Bruce dropped half of his jam tart upon having a terrible thought. "Alfred, I need to get to Arkham Asylum."

"But sir, you have just got home."

"I have to check something. I should hopefully be back soon." Bruce started putting on his Bat suit. "Maybe one day I will get peace." He left Alfred sitting all alone with half of his jam tart.

"Maybe." Alfred said sadly to himself

Batman raced to his car and drove quickly to Arkham. "How nice it would be...just one night." He muttered sadly to himself. "But I can't." He parked the car and then ran in through the main doors.

"The Joker. Now." Batman told one of the guards who looked taken aback. One guard stepped forward but felt nervous.

"You do not have the authority to be here."

Ignoring the guard, Batman stepped forward and made his way to the holding cells. A doctor passed him and seemed much more eager in helping Batman.

"I appreciate what you do. Joker is scum. This way." Batman walked with the doctor who introduced herself as Dr George. She was in her mid forties and seemed always quiet when Batman visited. He was surprised she felt confident around him and was pleased to see her addressing him with a warm smile. Once at Joker's cell, she turned to him.

"Give him hell Batman." She then left the two alone together.

"Oh heya Bats. Miss me already?" He laughed.

"Be quiet." Batman said with hatred in his tone.

"Ooh getting agitated? Such a shame. I am sure we will be together again soon."

Batman's face remained expressionless but he walked away. Doctor George was waiting for him around the hallway.

"Harley Quinn's cell now please." Batman walked with Doctor George. He noticed her struggling to say something and waited. Waited...

"It was horrible you know." She blurted out suddenly. "That game night with the Joker. I was working on a night shift and I was just so afraid. I thought my life would end that night."

"You're safe now doctor. The Joker is put away. If I can just see Harley's cell..."

"Of course. This way." Dr George allowed him to follow her. "We kept her away from the Joker for obvious reasons."

Once they had reached Harley's cell, Dr George left Batman once again and waited down the hall. Batman glanced in and saw Harley sitting in her chair. However, she was faced backwards from the cell door. Just sitting there. Still as anything. Batman went down the hallway and approached Dr George.

"I need to get in that cell. Something's wrong."

Dr George panicked. "How do you know?"

"I need to get in that cell." Batman repeated and Dr George nodded fiddling with the keys. Slowly, she opened the door and stood back to let Batman inside.

"Harley..." Batman placed a hand on the chair and turned it around to reveal Harley with her eyes closed. A big grin had been painted in green on her face. Batman looked closer and noticed her clothing: a biker outfit. He pulled at her wig and saw a dark-red haired woman slump down on the floor.

"Roxy." Batman gasped.