Therapy Sessions

It is human nature to have a favourite. A favourite drink, pet, food, friend, subject at school or by working in Arkham: inmate. Annie's favourite inmate was Two-Face. The ex-district attorney of Gotham City whose left side of the face had been scarred by acid. Harvey Dent had been driven insane by this and adopted a strict obsession with a coin which when flipped allowed him to make decisions based on chance. Annie always found this interesting and developed a positive relationship with Annie to which after a while he returned. However he still got in his angry moods very quickly with the guards. Since she was an intern, Annie was never allowed to visit one inmate when he was in Arkham.

"The Joker. He is the worst and maddest of them all." Aaron Cash, a senior guard at Arkham once commented. However unknown to Annie, he held a deep fear for Killer Croc since his hand was bitten off by the savage killer. Annie heard the Joker laughing once in his cell but the guards took care of it. Having only a strict ten minute therapy session was not long and there was always guards present but Annie knew her favourite inmates to her least favourite.

Annie entered Two-Face's room with a friendly smile and greeting. "Good Morning Two-Face." She knew saying his alter-ego would annoy him even though it was more professional to state it. With every other inmate she did but since she did not want him to fall out with her, she kept to a peaceful conversation.

"Annie." Two-Face flipped his coin. "Heads you sit down. Tails you leave."

Annie laughed. "I am not going anywhere."

Two-Face hung his head. "Neither will I."

Annie looked at Two-Face with sympathy. She wished that she could talk about her problems to someone instead of always listening. How she yearned to talk about personal issues concerning her father but it was her job to help others. Problem is when Two-Face asked her what is wrong, she had to always wave it off in front of the guards. Where was the trust there?

Composing her thoughts together, Annie smiled. "How are you feeling today? I heard that you were talking to Johnathan Crane the other day."

Two-Face smiled weakly. "Yes. I was playing a game of Heads and Tails. He was on about his obsession for fear. What's new?" Again, Annie could tell that he was bored. He wanted to talk about her. After all there was not much activity going on in a prison for lunatics.

The ten minutes was up very quickly so Annie started to leave.

"Goodbye Two-Face. Next time we will talk about your favourite things."

Two Face rolled his eyes but nodded. Deep down, he cared for Annie. Unlike the other therapists who were there for the pay check,he knew she was genuinely interested in him.

Once outside the cell, Annie was greeted by her father who was standing next Doctor Blackwood.

"Hello Annie. Let me introduce you to Doctor Blackwood. I have offered her the position of therapist at Arkham Asylum. It would be a great opportunity for you to observe an experienced therapist."

Doctor Blackwood grinned. "Sure thing. What do you say Annie?"

That creepy grin. Annie did not like the look of this woman but agreed for studying purposes. "I would like that. Thank you."

Mr Sharp clapped his hands together. "Right. Well her first session is now with Killer Croc."

Annie rolled her eyes at the mention of one of her least favourite inmates. The last time she tried to interview Croc, he went for her. She shuddered at the thought. Mr Sharp waved goodbye to both of them to do some work in his office. Annie was left alone with the smiling Doctor Blackwood.

"Now now Annie." Doctor Blackwood was still grinning. "I will look after you. No need to be scared."

"I'm not." Annie shot back which made the blonde doctor's grin grow wider.

"Good. After all we all have a little crazy inside of us. Do you not feel it Annie?"

Annie shrugged. "Sometimes." They started to walk to Killer Croc's cell. "How long are your therapy sessions?"

"About half an hour. Especially with the likes of this brute."

Annie stepped back. "You know him?"

Doctor Blackwood's blue eyes sparkled a little. "I have his file sweetie."

"Of course. "Annie blushed a little. Her embarrassed face turned to worry as she heard a growl coming from the inside. Following Doctor Blackwood inside, she came face to face with Killer Croc himself.

"Good Morning Waylon. How are you feeling today?" Annie could feel the professionalism oozing out of her. So calm and composed. Annie took out her notepad and began to take notes whilst observing both the patient and therapist.

"What's it to ya Doc?" Killer Croc growled. Annie could feel the hostility but was amazed to see Doctor Blackwood giggle a girly laugh.

"Ooh looks like you're grouchy today huh?"

Killer Croc bared his teeth but Doctor Blackwood stood her ground.

"So I repeat. How are you feeling?"

Killer Croc laughed. "Peachy. I saw Cash today whimpering next to me. You could tell he was scared."

Doctor Blackwood nodded. "Yes I heard about your little incident."

Suddenly the door opened to reveal a couple of guards. "Your father wants you." He gestured to Annie who looked apologetically at Doctor Blackwood.

"It's okay dear really."

Once Annie had left with the guards Doctor Blackwood put on that creepy smile again although her voice remained professional yet had a sinister edge to it.

"Oh crock. Crock, Crock Crock, may I cross your river?" She howled with laugher at his face. "I'm kidding can't you take a joke? Oh this place is going to be so much fun. Just you wait and see."

Smirking, she changed the subject and for a second there Killer Croc thought that maybe she looked and sounded familiar.