Chapter 2- Great Escape, Fantastic Journey

Chapter 2

The invisible like cord thrums as Jake moves away from me, his arm wrapped around another. It tugs at me, urging me to place myself at his side. My body shakes with despair. Hearing scoffs, and insults being thrown my way, I push myself up, making my way to my feet. My jaw and cheeks throb in pain. I look at the people in the room, most left behind Jake and Lorry with a snide comment. My eyes meet my brother's hard stare. Unlike the others, he wasn't wearing a smile. His expression is much worst. His gaze is murderous, filled with hate so strong that I flinch back. I could see his fists that are clenched so tight that his knuckles are white. My lips quiver. He seems as if he would come over and snap my neck.

Something new inside me bubbles closer to my heart. An unexplained darkness, something like a unnatural void lays in wait, wanting to consume me whole. On trembling feet, I walk away from the kitchen, passing bodies who rammed themselves into my own with each step. I bite my lip, at the searing pain in my back. I sniffle quietly as each person laugh at my state. I bow my head low, and continue to my room. Trembling bursts of sobs escape my lips as soon as I pull in the stairs. I force myself to go to my bed, wanting so badly to fall to the floor and curl up there. I crash land on my bed, and curl my knees up to my chest, uncaring of the bloody smears that is now on my pillow.

I chook on each sob, spluttering as pain filters through my body.

'Mate. Mate. Mate. Mate.' Chanted whispers, through my sobs.

It's easy to see that though I am unable to shrift and have not bounded with my own wolf, there is still something inside me that can identify my mate. A mate who is in the arms of another. I clutch my mouth as loud pathetic wails flew from my lips. My pain running so deep, that the very core of me shatters, allowing that cold dark emptiness to move closer.

........................................

Hours pass. I watch the sun rise high into the sky and then lower into the unknown. My sobs and wails had long since stopped, and my tears have dried up. Only soft sniffles and whimpers can be heard from my room. No one has bothered to come up and check on me, not that I was expecting anyone too. I lay still, my slow breathing is the only indication that I am still alive. My knees to my chest, I lay curled into myself seeking warmth from the coldness that grows steadily inside of me. Thoughts of the past consume me. I remember the joy of both my family and my friends, and then I remember the sorrow and the pain of losing all of them. I look at my present and see no happiness, then I wonder of my future and see nothing.

I could hear music, and see sparkling lights outside. The ceremony will be beginning soon. My stomach rolls, and bile fills my throat. Though my body is stiff and my back still aches, like lightening I race up, throwing my legs to the floor, stumbling, as I make my way to my tiny bathroom. I throw my body to the floor and stick my head into the toilet and retch. I haven't eaten anything for the day, so all that comes out is stinky stomach acid.

Finishing, I stretch up and flush the toilet. My face wet with tears, both from the horrendous vomiting and its smell, and the pain in my back. I push myself away from the toilet and force myself to stand. Needing to get the taste of vomit out of my mouth, I pick up my tooth brush and start brushing my teeth. Finishing up, I wash away the residue of dried blood from my face and stand as straight as I can with a throbbing back, looking at my reflection in my tiny mirror.

What I saw made my earlier look, look like a goddess. My cheeks and jaw have puncture marks that are slowly healing. My eyes are puffy with a nasty purple bag underneath, and my still braided hair, is hanging loosely, sticking in all directions. I palm my chest, where I could feel my heart beat. It's a surprise that it's still beating. An overwhelming swarm of grief clouds me. Is it wrong that I want it to stop? That I want this beat right here to be my last.