Chapter 24 - Jake 2

Chapter 24 - Jake 2

Jake

"So, we were under some witch's spell, who also happens to be that bitch Lorry, and that's why we we're total turds to Dee?" Michael's eyebrows are furrow and his lips tilt down in an intense frown. I might not know him well, but I knew an expression like that did not belong on his face. 

"Of sorts yes. It wasn't exactly placed on you, more like it was placed on our King's land itself, so who ever were too step on the soil would immediately feel a dislike towards Destiny, or in your case, bring up your love for her and twist it. It's not a spell used too often, because of the magnitude of power that is needed, but this is Kaman's witches, it is not surprising that they infiltrated your lands, my king, and laid a spell. Especially since you had one of the sister adding to the spell over time." Mark walks quickly, not bothering to turn towards us, his pace quickening with each step. I appreciate his haste, since my control on my sanity is barely holding up.

My teeth grind against each other, my wolf barley being held back. I housed that witch, in my pack, my home, my bed. I gave her the power to harm my mate. Sorrow beats at me, along with a consuming amount of guilt. There is so much pain I need to make up for. All those years of hurt. I will work till the end of my days for the complete forgivingness from my mate, and even after. I purse my lips and my eyes find Jordan's before his shift away. His shoulders are hunched and the tension in his body is palpable. So is the guilt written all over his face. His sister, who his parents always reminded him to take care of, was not only mistreated by his pack but by her own brother, now she is at death's door. There is no doubt that his guilt is almost as consuming as my own. My beta has not been the same since his little sister left. In truth, neither have I.

Annabelle places a hand on Jordan's shoulder, her sad eyes misting as she whispers words to him. I observe the two, proud that my beta had found his mate, especially in a time so dire. I can't help the despair that sinks in as I continue to eye them as I keep walking. My mate is not here, and it's my own damn fault. While all my life I believed her to be the weak one, the one unable to carry my pups or protect herself. It was me who was the weaker one between us. I failed my mate by letting a spell best me.

"We said some really shitty things to her. I said some really shitty things to her." Annabelle says softly. Her voiced rough and unused.

"Yeah." Adrianna chimes in. "Spell or not, we deserved the cold shoulder she was giving us. I can't believe we did that to her though. Why couldn't we fight it?" The question troubles me, as I quicken my pace, eager to reach our destination. I'm only short of breaking into a full-on run.

"You most likely did, in the beginning, but the longer you stayed on pack lands, the more you let yourself settle in, the easier it was for the spell to work." Mark's robes brush my arm, as he turns left.

"We're close. I've already notified their sentries, and through them, have spoken to the dragon queen. Now, my king, this is important. The dragon kingdom has not truly been our allies since the event that distanced our kingdoms. This political venture should be handle by Destiny, since she has done the studies, but she's not here, so in her stead, you must act the part of a true royal. Know that with the help of the dragons, our kingdom will owe a favor in return." I nod once, even though Mark is facing forward. I hear the flaps of wings, and a sound that resembled thunder.

A path way opens, hidden by the thick of trees. Spanning wide, with grass so green, is the largest meadow I've ever seen. In the center, stood, goddess help me, two dozen dragons. At the front, standing tall, is a woman. Her hair is as an inky black, slicked into a tight braid. Her eyes are a frightening blue, that makes me think of a forgotten world frozen over by the gods and goddesses. Though she's a bit petit, the feel of her power is barely hidden as it vibrates through my body. For someone so small, almost delicate even, she wears intimidation so well, that I feel my wolf stir. She wears leathers, and a large sword hangs on her hip. Intimidating indeed. I stand a bit taller, feeling my wolf growl low and thick at such a worthy opponent. His rage wanted a target and to him, she would be perfect. I on the other hand try to focus on the fact that instead of starting a fight, I need to be forming a lasting alliance. Unfortunately for my wolf, we don't have time to spend on an all-out war, because if this feeling inside me is saying anything, it is that this is the Dragon queen.