Chapter Thirty-One | Penultimate

"Yeah I've got issues,
And one of them is how bad I need you,"

»«

Dana leaned on the railing, waiting with baited breath for any indication that Ultra Magnus was doing okay. Ratchet had left almost an hour ago, and there was still no word.

Her mom sat on the couch while her father and brother explored a little, wanting to know how giant robots could operate in an area that wasn't much bigger an a football field or so. Agent Fowler was at the computers with Rafael, Miko and Jack with Mrs. Fredrickson, just talking.

Another hour, and Dana was beginning to worry before Ratchet finally contacted the base, his profile picture popping up. Rafael immediately hit the "receive" button, and the medic began to talk.

"Ultra Magnus has suffered heavy damages, but he has begun to stabilize." There was a pause. "Dana, are you there?"

"Yes, I'm here." She spoke as loudly as she could, the other humans gathering around to listen. "What is it?"

"I am going to tell you something that I probably should not be telling you," he sighed. "Megatron is alive, but, he is being possessed by Unicron. He almost killed Bumblebee and the others."

"What?!" Her jaw dropped in disbelief. "How? Why?"

"The how, I'm not sure. But the why . . . He intends to destroy Cybertron."

"Let me go there!" She began to argue. "Perhaps I can talk some sense -"

"Absolutely not." Her guardian interjected. "This is Unicron we are talking about. Even if Megatron is still alive in his body, he may not be able to hear you, or see you. There is no negotiating with the Chaos Bringer."

"Then why tell me this?"

There was a pause, Ratchet contemplating for a moment. "Because I thought you would want to know. I understand that you and Megatron . . . Aren't friends, or even close, but don't think I didn't notice your reaction to the news of his death. I thought you deserved to know."

Dana pursed her lips, but she knew Ratchet was right. He had warned her before, and was now warning her again: to not engage herself with the enemy. Simultaneously, however, she feared for their planet. What were they going to do to stop Unicron from killing Cybertron permanently?

She wanted to help.

"Thank you, Ratchet." She broke the brief silence that had persisted across the line. "Please keep me updated."

"I will do my best." He agreed, then shut down the comlink.

Immediately, Dana turned to Agent Fowler. "Where is the suit you gave to Jack?"

"There is absolutely no way I am letting you go to Cybertron, and get yourself killed this time!" Agent Fowler immediately shut down her plan. "You almost were last time."

"Yeah, but we still have the Apex Armor." Dana argued. "If I wear that, all Unicron would be able to do is throw me around and punch me to the moon. He won't be able to hurt me."

"How do you know he won't just shake you around like a can of sardines until you turn to mush?!" Fowler argued in return. "Or if you get thrown into the sun?"

"I wore it," Milo pointed out, "and it didn't hurt me when I was tossed around like a Predacon chew-toy."

"Not helping." Agent Fowler shot her a look.