Chapter Thirteen | Breaking Point

"Just gonna stand there and watch me burn,
But that's alright because I like the way it hurts"

»«

"Hey, Dana." Jack approached her between passing periods, offering her phone to her. "You accidentally left this with me . . . After you left base."

"Oh, thanks." She smiled, though it was clearly forced. "I probably should have offered you a ride, I'm sorry."

The boy shook his head. "No, no, it's okay. I'm sure you wanted to let off some steam by yourself."

She nodded, tucking the device in the pocket of her scrubs. "Again, thanks."

"No problem." He paused for a moment before he headed off to his next class, Dana getting ready to drive to the hospital for another round of shifts. As an afterthought she checked her phone, looking at the battery - at 100%, so she assumed Jack had charged it for her - before her eyes landed on the notifications.

5 New Voicemails from Ratchet

She frowned. Every message was probably him apologizing, or asking if she needed anything, or chastising her some more, but none of them were inviting her back to base. After their fight, he probably wanted to see her immediately, but not with her in the base. She didn't feel like talking to him anyways, especially after he yelled at her. While her guardian was admittedly right in chastising her and gr , this was their first real fight. And it hurt.

Closing her phone again, and ignoring the voicemails, she climbed in the car and headed to the hospital, trying to keep her mind on more important things, like saving lives and catching up on homework. Finals were eventually going to come around, and they were something she did not want to miss.

And then it's one more summer, and then after that it's college. She couldn't help but smile a little. I can't wait.

»«

Megatron stalked around the bridge, his optics burning with both anger, fear, and a bit of confusion. Optimus Prime had the Star Saber, a weapon that not even Megatron dared to challenge, especially in the hands of his mortal enemy. He would have to take great lengths to ensure that he too was put on even ground.

And Dana . . .

Nothing made him more frustrated than trying to intimidate the flesh bag without hurting her, but to no avail. She wasn't afraid of him, even when he threatened to hurt her friend, whatever his designation was. As much as he wanted to throw her infuriatingly smug face against the wall, he didn't want to outright kill her. Not yet.

Logically, he knew he shouldn't obsess over something as trivial as a human. But that was what bothered him. She was trivial. A bug compared to him; a bug that did not seem to grasp his might.

Somehow, he would make her see him for what he truly was. And when he finally had her afraid . . . Well, he didn't know what would happen next. But he assumed their game would be over, and he would be allowed to hear the satisfying crunch of her flesh and bones as he crushed her between his digits.

Oh yes, that would be most satisfying indeed.

»«