Chapter Six | Execution

"You really think you're in control? Well,
I think you're crazy"

»«

That next day, Dana got an excited call from Ratchet as soon as school was let out. The other Autobots were already picking up their charges, and she was driving to base on her own; apparently the medic couldn't wait to tell her the news.

"We found it! Bulkhead and I . . . We found the Spacebridge!"

She beamed, sliding into her car and turning it on as quickly as she could, peeling out of the school parking lot. "You did? How?"

"Through, ah, a reliable source." He dodged the question. "But regardless . . . You were right. All we needed was to be patient."

Her smile softened. "Optimus would be proud. Now, at this pace I'll be there in fifteen minutes, as will the others. Does Fowler and Nurse Darby know?"

"I've called Agent Fowler. He is contacting Nurse Darby as we speak."

"Sweet. I'll be there ASAP." She waited for him to hang up first, then closed her phone, carefully speeding up as she left the city limits of Jasper. Her parents were already assuming that she was at her "science fiction club," and so she didn't bother to call them to tell them where she was. As reckless as she could be sometimes, she was not about to let her family get involved in this.

The drive was silent and uneventful, the woman pulling off onto the dirt road that lead straight to the Autobot base, frowning as some red Nevada soil splattered on her windshield.

I'm going to have to clean that.

Pulling in to the base and parking carefully, she got out with a huge grin, Ratchet's optics blazing with excitement.

"Hey," she smiled. "I heard you found yourselves a Space Bridge?"

Ratchet nodded. "Yes, we did." He gestured to the three other Autobots that were with him. "I've already created a plan of action for us to infiltrate the Spacebridge controls and get Jack to Cybertron."

"Can I go?!" Miko waved a hand excitedly.

"No." Ratchet quickly dispelled that idea. "Optimus chose Jack to go to Vector Sigma."

"And it would be too much to have to keep track of two humans on Cybertron." Arcee added. "Even though our planet is . . . dead, there could still be Cybertronian lifeforms crawling around, and none of them will be friendly."

"Arcee is right." Ratchet gave Dana a pointed look. "And don't even think about sneaking onto Cybertron. The chemical composition of our air is much different than Earth's. If you breathe in that air, it will be a slow and painful suffocation."

Dana cringed a little, as did the other humans. "Understood."

Ratchet gave her another intense stare-down before he spoke again. "We will wait for Nurse Darby and Agent Fowler to show up, and then I will explain our plan."

»«

"Soundwave!" Megatron stalked into the bridge, where his third in command was busy keeping Orion Pax out of their sensitive information. "I need you to do a little research project for me."

The communications officer gave no reply or indication he heard, but Megatron knew he was more than capable of hearing his every command.